Sinister: zero friction racing lubricant and shoutcast

Alex Davies drsquid at xxx.com
Sat Jul 10 04:25:49 BST 1999

firstly a link to an excellent shoutcast server
http://the-sweeney.dynip.com/

lost of B&s on playlist including some live stuff

I am currently wading through the 200+ messages that i have declined to read
for the past few weeks and now I have decided to tackle the task and I am
find Sinister a very odd mailing list.....probably representative and B&S
fans in general.
On most other mailing lists the post are breif, often inflammatory and
generally nothing seems to serious (ie Modlists) however a lot of post here
are almost confessional...dear Diary stuff. It's odd how many people are
under the assumption that being a B&S fan means we all share the same
mindset and are all Soul Mates, which I find vastly amusing. Me thinks
perhaps it is because of the median age of listees, late teens, early 20's.
hmmmmmm
not that I am really complaing too much I find many of these posts very
amusing.......I especially am finding Lesley J Miller's contiuning 'artgirl'
story good.
Its funny the whole Smiths thing coz there is the mention of the music
differences between B&S and them and one listees mention of the cult of
personality surrounding them.
I am sad to inform you that the same myth is being bulit up around B&S. It
is not built upon the physical look of one person etc the whole Morrissey
theing but the sense of community...ie Smiths fans feeling the same, the
sense of depression, outsideness etc is very much the same with B&S fans,
just look at the confessional output here and think about it.
The 80's 90's comparison is interesting because while in the 80's i think it
was more acceptable the idoltorize (sp?) a singer, as in the Moz, but today
young people are so concerned with not appearing to like anything at all,
the whole dissaffected thing, that B&S's lack of focus on who they are, the
3rd person song writing, lack of publicity, meshs perfectly with the
90's.....and sadly I believe this is being carefully orchestrated...........
I am not critcizing B&S I still like their music but I think many fans
really have to see the reality of this movement, which after all is still
based on a commercial, pop, money making band.

umm did any of my rambling meld together into something conherent
perhaps I should write and clearer essay on my thoughts
Alex