Sinister: zero friction racing lubricant and shoutcast

Gary Lawler glawler at xxx.ie
Sat Jul 10 12:46:39 BST 1999

At 23:25 09/07/99 -0400, you wrote:
<snip>
>On most other mailing lists the post are breif, often inflammatory and
>generally nothing seems to serious (ie Modlists) however a lot of post here
>are almost confessional...dear Diary stuff. It's odd how many people are
>under the assumption that being a B&S fan means we all share the same
>mindset and are all Soul Mates, which I find vastly amusing. Me thinks
>perhaps it is because of the median age of listees, late teens, early 20's
. . .
ie Smiths fans feeling the same, the
>sense of depression, outsideness etc is very much the same with B&S fans,
>just look at the confessional output here and think about it.
<snip>

But it's not just a Sinister thing, it happens in loads of places - I mean,
I've seen message boards on RPG sites which have managed to develop a
strong sense of community, and after a while quite personal, confessional
things were also posted . . .

I mean no, we don't all share the same mindset, but maybe one or two of us
do, and posting such things here is a neat way of finding those one or two
other similarly-minded people who are also subscribed to the group.

and sadly I believe this is being carefully orchestrated...........
>I am not critcizing B&S I still like their music but I think many fans
>really have to see the reality of this movement, which after all is still
>based on a commercial, pop, money making band.

Perhaps unsuprisingly, I have to disagree :-)

Like in the previous example, the product (in this case, B&S records)
brought people together, but wasn't what makes them stay together (blimey,
I'm sounding a little wishy-washy here).

*stops before he starts lapsing into clichés . . . like he hasn't already
:-)*
--
Gary Lawler