Sinister: where the clouds are made of candyfloss...

andrew dean koogy at xxx.uk
Sun Jul 11 12:19:11 BST 1999

um, several people have asked but i don't think anybody's replied.
here's the camber sands set list. the highlighted things are the stuff
radio 1 played the other day:

* slow graffiti
* seeing other people
* dog on wheels
* wrong girl
  century of fakers
  i know where the summer goes
* winter woofkie (/wooskie, whatever)
  simple things
* if you're feeling sinister
* i don't love anyone
* paper boat
* the boy with the arab strap
* photo jenny
  landslide
* lazy line painter jane
  the kids are alright

seems a bit odd that they left out the two highlights (landslide, the
kids...). it also struck me as strange that whilst they cut out most of
the between song banter or gaps both of stu d's introductions were left
in. if anybody wants a minidisc copy of this then i can do one for you,
just email and we'll sort something out (it'll probably mean sending me
a blank md and return postage).

also, my bowlie photos are now on my website
home.clara.net/koogy/photos. i don't think i've mentioned these before.
i've certainly not had any complaint from trousers yet which makes me
think he hasn't seen them. there aren't any of the band, just the
sinister massive.

oh, and all 4(?) eps are currently being sold in the '3 for 10 pound'
offer thing in my local virgin store (and i guess all the others around
the country) so you can go and buy them if you don't already have them.
actually, 3 for 10 quid isn't that much of a bargain but at least they
are available. go and buy them kids, rather than getting some strange
boy to tape them for you. this way you get the proper thing and the band
gets to eat (or buy more star wars merchandise, whatever)

oh, vaguely related note: there's a thing on bbc2 on fridays called
'Songwriter's Circle' and this week it had john cale, chrissie hynde and
nick cave on it, all doing songs acoustically. was a bit self indulgent
actually, maybe they ought to rename it 'Songwriter's Circle Jerk'
(boom, tish!). anyway, next week it's chip taylor, nick lowe and jimmy
web.

oh, news from the LA gig was that stu d seems to be enjoying it. 'he was
happy and chatty, nothing like he usually is'. no news as to if he's
still wearing that same t-shirt though. maybe, like einstein, he has a
whole stack of identical outfits so he doesn't have to waste time in the
morning wondering what to wear.

night,
andy

(off topic wittering follows)

john, did you get the video? beth posted it from work and that usually
takes a couple of weeks longer than normal. (btw, it's another line from
'white horses', i've used it before...)

starry:
>Why don't you go back outside and talk to trees, or whatever it is you DO

dexter's laboratory, "deedeemensional" and i claim my 5 pound prize...
8)

>What the fuck is "drill'n'bass" anyway!

i think the phrase was dreamt up during an aphex twin interview in some
music paper. it basically means the stuff he does, twisted techno
bollocks, anything that sounds like a cross between techno and tools
basically (the clue was in the question as les dawson always used to say
on blankety blank). see also: mu-ziq, squarepusher. i could be wrong.

been back from LA for about two weeks now (but this is my first post
since). apologies to whoever mailed suggesting we meet up but i left
hours after my last post and didn't check my inbox again until i got
back. have spent those last two weeks trying not to spend any money and
am having a miserable time of it, stuck in the house most of the day
eating bread and water*. i ought to get out more. so if anyone has any,
oh, HOUSE WARMING PARTIES in, i don't know, the SOUTH EAST LONDON area,
and want to invite me then feel free...

*(but, to be honest, not only bread and water.)

went to palm springs whilst i was there, girlfriend's high school
reunion and all that. it was only june and it was already 110' there
(44' in english). and people choose to live there, retire there even.
why? (in england people start complaining the minute it gets above 20').

actually the timing of my trip was all wrong - having suffered geri
spice plugging her new lp in england before i left i got there to find
that she was plugging her new lp on every chat show going in america. i
get back and have to suffer ricky martin all over english tv having
suffered him all over american tv. ditto all the star wars episode 1
stuff (to spoil it for the english people who won't see it until friday
- they all die in the end, ewan, the small kid, liam, darth maul,
princess armadillo, all 'father ted') and, i'm sure, in a few weeks i'll
be bombarded with 'do i make you horny baby?' all over again. argh. i
completely missed the riot in london and the results of the european
elections though so if anyone can fill me in on the details...

missed the 2nd and 3rd episodes of that sunday night channel 4 program
on modern art too, the others have been excellent (lots of footage of my
favourite painters, er, painting. didn't even know that rothko chapel
existed until i saw it on there...) and i'd like to borrow the two i
haven't seen if anyone has them on tape. cheers.

that oasis advert pisses me off. the one with the dolphin impersonation
in it. i don't know why. i much prefered frutopia and the cocteau's
backed kaleidoscope adverts were so much better than 'are you looking at
my bird?'. the paprika pringles advert gets up my nose too. 'is it that
flavour?' pah.

oh, dawson's creek, must dash...