Sinister: megan rules the school

marie elia littlearsonist at xxx.com
Mon Jul 12 00:04:35 BST 1999

hey, ho, sinister...

megan rules the school for having called an impromptu
(sort of) nyc picnic for yesterday afternoon...

after a slightly awkward moment when emanuel and i
tried to pick each other out of the crowd at grand
central station (um, just look for the Other indie
kid), we were on our way to the cloisters -- beautiful
old church-y things in a museum, and pretty grounds...
 we took the soft and fluffy elevator from the subway
to the grounds:  soft and fluffy b/c there were all
these pictures of kittens and puppies pasted on the
walls...  how "belle & sebastian" (since that is now
an official adjective).  unbeknownst to us, laurel &
Her Boy (whose name slips me, i'm sorry!) picked us
out as sinister folk in the elevator, but didn't say
anything... which is why emanuel and i wandered about
the grounds until we saw megan and mick carrying a
belle&sebby poster.  i'd never have seen it, but
Eagle-Eye Emanuel spotted it right away.  anyway, it
was neat to meet the few that showed.  and funny to
find out that mick mcmick is NOT a 35-year-old man,
but a mere boy of 20, younger than myself -- sorry to
blow yr cover!  he gets major props for digging Used
Kids, the best record store in columbus, possibly in
all of ohio, possibly in all of the united states...
:)

la la la...  as the picnic wound down, laurel & Her
Boy went off to watch the women's soccer team (who,
incidentally, kicked some ass), megan and mick went
home to be poor, and the ever charming emanuel took me
for a beer down in the village.  afterwards, when we'd
parted, i had an hour to kill (the only thing you'll
kill is time) before heading up and west over to
Tramps to see ted leo, cat power, joan of arc, and
girls against boys.  it was punk planet's benefit for
Voices in the Wilderness, a group that breaks the U.N.
sanctions on iraq to bring food and medicine over,
mostly to children.
(check out      <http://www.nonviolence.org/vitw>
for more info -- an amazing cause)

but, the music!  i'd never heard ted leo, and he
rocked pretty good, i gotta say.  cat power was
beautiful and amazing and painful... but the audience
was so rude and loud that she cut her last song short
and said quietly, "y'all have fun tonight" and booked
it off stage... joan of arc chided the audience, but
to no avail.  anyone who's heard JoA knows that a lot
of their songs are super quiet, and despite my
proximity to the stage i could barely hear some
songs...  blah!  girls against boys were, well, bad.
mick and emanuel had tried to explain to me what they
sound like earlier, but nothing prepared me for this
weird band.  luckily i had to leave in the middle of
their set in order to catch the last train out of the
city.  hhhmmmph!

well, i'm sure i've bored you all enough.  sadly, i
don't have my tigermilk yet.  i preordered it from
jeepster even though i knew it would probably be
quicker to just wait to buy it this week in stores...
but i like the idea of sending my hard earned cash
directly to jeepsta ... and of getting foreign post!
so, i'll wait...  patiently... sort of...

take care, kids!
xoxo, marie

"Down with the Spectacular-Commodity Culture" -joa

===