Sinister: looper show review

Nick Eeepooh! summerwasting at xxx.com
Mon Jul 12 10:08:36 BST 1999

well guess what?  little 'ol me finally tried to get into a nightclub with a
fake i.d. which i borrowed off of my friends, friends friend.(it looked
nothing like me and i'm 16 and it said i was 20, but whatever)  and the
reely nice bouncer obviously did his job by asking for i.d. but then turned
the cheek and let me and my freshly 19 year old friend into see a truly
exciting show.  it was wierd at first and i felt kind of uncomfortable but i
got used to it.

anyway, there has been many a band that has come to vancouver and played the
starfish room and tonnes of them i would kill to see. but for some reason i
always seemed to let them slip by, but not this one.  looper and iqu.
i've been listening to iqu (electronic/acoustic(not in a beth orton way
though)band from olympia) ever since their debut 7" appeared some 3 years
ago. so i finally got to see them live and it was great.  the stand up bass
player had real showmanship and their entire set had the entire club boppin'
their heads.  nice.

then on to looper.  well for me this was a dream show and i think the rest
of the crowd felt the same.  we were highly responsive to looper but for
some reason the band was kind of in a slump.  stu d. in between every song
cussed and complained about how the sound was shitty and how they couldn't
hear themselves on stage.  (nick's note: it sounded wonderful and all the
instruments were at good levels and i'm not quite sure why he was
complaining so much)  also they stopped playing dave the moonman about a
minute into it cuz the guitar player kept messing up his parts and stu'd
bass seemed out of tune with the music etc.  and karn apologized to us
vancouverites for having to watch their roughest show.  stu said that if we
wanted we could try and get our money back as well.  it was a really nice
(but breif) set and they capped it off with to my knowledge a new song Y2K.
that song is amazing!  in my opinion by far the best in their repitoire.
which leads me to ask if anyone knows when this song will be released.  (new
7"? ep? single? album?)  and also if anyone has a live recording of it or
something that they could send my way (we could trade, just email me)  or at
least if someone could write out the lyrics for me and send them cuz they
are so great.  that would be extremely nice.

well there you go it was a great show.  and i usually don't write this much
cuz it's a pain for all you guys to read but i don't post very often so i
guess it's okay.  take care, .nick. (and anyone with the goods please get
back to me!)

ONE MINOR COMPLAINT:  i was all pumped to buy one of the nice looper tshirts
and they weren't selling them at the show! there was no merchandise at all.
  has this happened to any of you who've been to their gigs?  that was
really too bad.