Sinister: london has let me down again

Marcus Omond marcusomond at xxx.com
Tue Jul 13 13:28:03 BST 1999

hi there all you lovely people,

went to the tigermilk launch at trash last night, which was a rather odd
experience, and so here it is in detail.  i arrived at tottenham court road
tube at 10:25, and stood around waiting for natasha to turn up.  within half
a minute a suited man had saddled up along side me and asked 'excuse me, are
you gay?' or something along those lines, to which i replied 'i'm flattered
that you ask, but no'.  i was a little shocked by this - i'm not used to
being approached in public.  maybe it's my wildean locks...

a minute later i felt someone forcibly poking me in the chest, and was
scared.  'shit,' i thought, thinking that it was the gentleman from earlier
returning to try again.  but no - it was drunken matt from the picnic a week
ago, and he was coming to trash as well.  which was nice, even though at
first i didn't recognise him because he'd washed his hair.

then natasha turned up, looking stunning, and we went to a bar to have a
drink with drunken geoff from the picnic, who was looking very sexy with his
missing button on his red shirt.  probably ripped off by some eager young
girl, and who could blame her with geoff's angelic good looks?

anyhow, we all went to trash, where we met the lovely miss vicky, two marks,
jim, martin and a few other people (sorry if i haven't mentioned you) and a
good time was had by all (as far as i know), with the first three quarters
of tigermilk being played at the start of the night, and selected b&s tracks
all night long.  i'd never danced to 'dylan in the movies' before, but we
all did last night, and it was great.  oh, and they had a video wall with
videos of the band.  i'd never seen them before, and now i think stuart m is
the most beautiful man in the world - wow, he's just SO stunning.  wow.

i left around two, and that's when things started to get weird... walking
through soho to get to trafalgar square for the night bus, i got asked if a
was 'looking for a lady', which made me feel bad - am i so ugly that
prostitutes see me as a potential client?  then somebody came up and stood
in front of me shouting in a foreign language that i didn't understand,
waving an unlit cigarette around before calmly saying 'by the way, do you
speak english?'  which made me rather worried, so i didn't answer and walked
past (hastily), ignoring him when he thumped me in the back.  then when i
finally got out of soho (by which time i was shit scared) a police man
started shouting abuse at me when i asked where trafalgar square was,
threatening to arrest me and so on.  which wasn't nice - i thought (in my
naive little world) that police men were supposed to help.  obviously not.
nasty.

eventually i found the bus stop, and i'd just missed the N139, and so i had
to wait another hour before it came again.  i was approached by a legion of
semi-unconcious italian tourists asking me in various languages, and with
various degrees of politeness, for a cigarette.  and when i told them that i
didn't smoke, some of them got rather aggressive.  which was not nice at
all.

in the end (around 3:45) the bus came, and i got on.  the only other people
there were two dodgy looking men who were staring at me all journey long,
and waited until i got off before they did.  so i walked home from the bus
stop the long but well lit way, and eventually they stopped following me.
hearing 'dylan in the movies' in the club hadn't helped - 'it's not your
money, boy...' by the time i got into bed i was a nervous wreck, and i kind
of wished i hadn't given up smoking, so i'd be able to calm my nerves.  oh
well.  i didn't get to sleep immediately, so i put on the beautiful lord
antony (that and winter wooksie are my current faves) and drifted off.

...but it was all worth it, all the trouble and all the uncontrolled racing
away of the heart beat.  i had a great time in the club, seeing all the
lovely sinister people i'd met at the picnic again.  and seeing the video
for 'there is a light and it never goes out' was a highlight as well.  next
time, though, there is NO WAY that i'm going to walk through soho all alone
at three in the morning - shit, if it's that scary on a monday night i hate
to think about what it's like on a friday or saturday...

anyway, hope this hasn't bored you all.  sorry if it has.  looking forward
to seeing some of you again at godspeed you... on thursday, or at the poetry
cafe on friday.

bye for now,

love

Marcus XXX