Sinister: Looper in-store in NYC @ Other Music, Tigermilk review, No-one's looking

Brian Pennington bp224996 at xxx.edu
Wed Jul 14 14:26:12 BST 1999

Hiya,
    Maybe I just didn't notice it/know about it, but I was surprised to
find no one had mentioned this. I was even more surprised to find
something of value in one of these mass mailouts. Not like the Parasol
or Darla updates which have the things you can buy. But I digress:

> Other Music News:
>
> Two big in-store performances are announced this week for our NYC-area > customers and those of you who might be in town on these days. Please > note that all of our in-stores are free of charge, but admission is > limited. Attendance at these two shows is expected to be large (a > mob-scene really), so arrive early to insure that you get in.
>
> SPAIN: Monday, July 19th at 8 p.m.
> Performing in support of their brand new album "She Haunts My Dreams" > (see review below).
>
> LOOPER: Monday, July 26th at 8 p.m.
> The bubbly electronic side project of Belle & Sebastian's Stuart David > and wife Karn

	Also there was a review of Tigermilk which I'll post...

BELLE & SEBASTIAN "Tigermilk" (Matador/Jeepster/Electric Honey) CD/LP
$11.99/$16.99
The long, long-awaited reissue of the now-legendary first album by
Scotland's Belle & Sebastian demonstrates the kind of song writing magic
that almost justifies the cult-like adoration they've received
from their many fans. While the nay-sayers will grumble that they still
don't "get it" (what's to "get" about perfectly realized pop with
lyrical substance?), the converted will gladly put aside their nth
generation
tape copies for a chance to own this newly remastered version of an
already classic LP. Let's be blunt here, "Tigermilk" is a much better
record than Belle & Sebastian's latest, the slightly disappointing and
uneven "The Boy With the Arab Strap". And it's arguably as good as "If
You're Feeling Sinister," their second full-length. The difference is
that on "Tigermilk", principal songwriter Stuart Murdoch is firmly
in control. Here you won't find the flat-out embarrassment of "Seymour
Stein" or "Chickfactor" that marred "Arab Strap" when other band members
decided to contribute their own songs. Instead we're
treated to some of the band's finest moments ever including the sublime
"My Wandering Days Over". The trumpet solo on that one alone is worth
the $12 price of admission.

	Sorry for the bad formatting. I got my CD from them yesterday, or
rather Megan picked it up for me while I was at work. When I got it I
thought TWATTYBUS was my fave. Not so sure now...but Tigermilk is
definately my least fave as an album. As little as I like Chickfactor, I
like You're Just a Baby even less. I'd say Tigermilk is the most uneven
for me, contrary to this review, but also it contains some of the best
songs. Anyway, just my two cents.

	With that I shall depart. Psst, this is my first post from work. No
one's here to see me typing. Haha. I had a job at an office once, but
all I ever did was sit around...

	Signatureless Pocketbook Angel,

		Mick McMick