Sinister: Electronic Renaissance Man

FourJacksAndAJill bkim0 at xxx.edu
Wed Jul 14 16:33:45 BST 1999

Right on to Maria Elia, "Electronic Renaissance" is the muthafuckin'
bomb-ass track on the album--one of them, anyway.  I think of it as more
Factory-esque though (not a guitar in sight, cool!), very "Procession" by
newOrder I thought.  They just don't get as synthy or even as varied in
sound on subsequent albums.  Shame.

"I Don't Love Anyone"--separated at birth from Felt's "Mobile Shack"?

I like how this album really rocks at times, it's almost garagey.  "You're
Just A Baby" could've easily been done by the Stones or some sneery early
'60s band with fuzz pedals and 'tude.

(If y'all have been reading my thoughts on this on the b&s/New
Order newsgroups or the i-pop list I apologize for my redundancy.)

Speaking of synths, which I was, I *will* be in DC on the 24th to see
*the* electronic renaissance man amplifier himself, Stephen Merritt and
his Magnetic Fields.  Hopefully he will have his triple(!)-album for sale
at the show.  Yeah Lesley, my guess is if you're trying to talk to him and
you aren't a young effeminate boy (like myself) you may get yelled at!  I
think you'll be fine in achieving your goal...

I will not sing your ugly song,

Xavier

 BXK
 bkim0 at dept.english.upenn.edu | www.english.upenn.edu/~bkim0
 It's what kind of hair you have on the inside that counts.--G.S.