Sinister: 10 Roddington Place

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Wed Jul 14 17:18:33 BST 1999

The reason "unusual" songs end up on film soundtracks is because some
joey at the film company thinks to themselves wouldn't it be good if
their favourite group were on the telly or in the cinema. That is the
only possible explanation I can find for the inclusion of so many 70s
WHO songs on the soundtrack to "Quadrophenia", which is clearly set in
the 60s. I like proper film soundtracks done by proper composers, such
as Quincy Jones, Burt Bacarach, Don Bradman or Henley Regatta. But
what I like most of all is not knowing who did the music because it's
written in funny Iranian squiggley writing, like the film I went to
see yesterday, "Don". I also like a bloke on a Wurlitzer coming up out
of the stage, but you hardly ever get that nowadays, worse luck.

Well done to Chris Leonard and new listee Mick Cooke for their
excellent new websites. I don't think it would be going too far to say
that they both have the potential to eventually become essential. The
Stuart Murdoch Fan Site is fantastic, and will be even better once
every single one of you has gone and made a little contribution. What
do you like best about Stuart Murdoch? And who does he look like? Go
on, run along and do it now. MIck's site not only boasts Keith's
fascinating and provocative 70s WHO top ten, it also has a whole
section entitled "WHO", which shows great devotion to the cause. This
section houses a very nice autobigraphical piece by Stuart Lee
Murdosch, which every self-respecting B&S fan will want to read and
learn by heart. It's really very nice, I hope it's the first
installment of a full length autobiography. I tried to send in my
local politicians top ten, but I could only think of 4, and I don't
think they were of much interest to anybody, so I binned that idea.
But you can send in your top ten anything you like, so come on, get
stuck in!

I've visited the DROOLZ site as well, but I haven't recovered enough
to comment yet.

I've wonn tickets to the South Pyrenees music festival, where I shall
see, God willing, touch wood, Ernest Ranglin, the Jamaican guitar
legend who arranged and played on "My Boy Lollipop", as well as lots
of other fantastic records, such as "The Heart of the Congos" and some
Jackie Mittoo records. It is half way up a bloody big mountain. You
can stick your T in the Park up your arse, mate. Hands up who's
jealous?

Sister Disco