Sinister: (no subject)

Walkn10 at xxx.com Walkn10 at xxx.com
Wed Jul 14 20:29:59 BST 1999

I struggled to get off my arse yesterday and pick up Tigermilk, but rest
assured the mission was a success and I've been listening to it almost
nonstop since then.  Unlike most people on the list I never had a decrepit,
much loved and whittled tape copy, and the only song from the album I had
ever heard before yesterday was their version of "I Don't Love Anyone" from
Bowlie.   Needless to say I was bowled over.
Wow, what a record.  I have to agree with those who champion "My Wandering
Days Are Over" as one of Struan's best works.  I dig the key change at the
end when his voice gets all reverb-y talking about the circus boy.  I also
happen to like "Electronic Renaissance" but Nick seems to have the defense of
that one covered so I won't go any further.  "She's Losing It" is also aces.
The review that was posted about TBWTAS being disappointing and their worst
effort to date, I will take umbrage at however.  Personally I think TBWTAS is
my fave.  It may not be as solid and dependable as IYFS or as whimsical and
ebulliant as Tigermilk, but something about the songwriting on that album and
the production just knocks me out everytime I hear it (which is almost
daily).  If you look at just Struan's songs, I think its the best of the B&S
albums.  With tracks like "Rollercoaster Ride," "Brillant Career," "Sleep the
Clock Around," "Ease Your Feet," and the title track...how can anyone call
this album disappointing (not to mention "Wicked")?  It definitely has its
share of lowpoints, such as the much mailgned "Chickfactor" and the "what the
hell were they thinking by putting this on the record" nominee "Spaceboy
Dream," but its the high points on the record that just seem to dwarf any
music I've ever heard.
I've also noticed that the first B&S record you hear seems to remain your
favorite forever no matter what comes later.  Maybe its just that inital
meeting with something so perfect and pure that no amount of songwriting
chops can overthrow it.  I mean, I love IYFS and Tigermilk and all the EPs,
but its something about TBWTAS that will keep it atop the rest for whatever
reason.  Maybe I just like the image of  "Beans" Geddes being impaled by
French bread.  Who knows?

steve c.