Sinister: I have seen your face but I don't recognize at all

FourJacksAndAJill bkim0 at xxx.edu
Thu Jul 15 15:57:13 BST 1999

Like, I can totally hear him [Mick three times on the ceiling if you want
me] going that:

>me sound less dance and more brooding, dark-sounding, and oddly jangly
>at times (see: Dreams Never End) which Electronic Renaissance is not.
>Furthermore, there are like 3 synth parts on Electronic Renaissance!
>Which is awesome, but I don't think even New Order did that, at least
>not until their later days, if at all. If you listen carefully to the
>new remastered version of Electronic Renaissance you can hear a tinkly
>synth at certain intervals. Anyway, I guess there is a bit of New Order
>in the song, but I'd say more of a Technique-era sound. Movement and
>Power, Corruption & Lies are more guitar-based than Electronic
>Renaissance.

Yes, well, let me qualify my statements then.  ER is strongly reminscent
to me of "Procession" and it doesn't sound *exactly* like it...and no, it
certainly doesn't sound like anything else from those early days but I'm
not even sure why you brought *that* up...perhaps to make a nice segue
into your essay on New Order?:) I'm just talking about the song
"Procession" itself, nothing else, if it wasn't clear.

And in the similarities I'm thinking more in the beat and the melody of
the bass-lines and the general dominance of keyboards in both songs.  I'm
not sure what version you're thinking of, but the one I have on the second
disc of _Substance 1987_ features some big-assed synths, very nice
production and a backing female vocal.  _Technique_ was a litle too
electronically disco (lots of electronic percussion and special effects,
etc.) I think to warrant comparison with ER (which is pretty simple by
comparison esp. to something like "Round and Round" or even "Run" which
has many guitar parts).

Re: "tinkly synth" in remastered "Electronic Renaissance"...your point
is...?

NO did *tons* of layering, there is no way to argue that!  They became
very heavy on the multiple synth part even before _Technique_ I'd say.  I
mean, call me naive but the part right before the chorus on "Bizarre Love
Triangle" with the big sweeping synth part could hardly be done with one
hand alone...then a simpler synth part comes in during that.  And then
there was the synth-bass parts...and drum synths...

Anyway Bri (and others), I never meant to come off as snooty like I knew
New Order like nobody else did in comparing the songs...it was just my
opinion that the two seemed similar.  That's all.  Just a passing thought
that now has snowballed into almost a full-blown OT New Order thread.

I think this is the first time I've actually posted to/read the list while
listening to B&S...and the first time I've listened to _Tigermilk_ while
reading it certainly!  I hope I don't cause a tear in the space-time
continuum...

Someday we will die in our dreams,

Xavier

 BXK
 bkim0 at dept.english.upenn.edu | www.english.upenn.edu/~bkim0
 It's what kind of hair you have on the inside that counts.--G.S.