Sinister: Procession Confession

McQuain, Chris CMcQuain at xxx.org
Thu Jul 15 20:20:10 BST 1999

...I've sworn off posting for a while but would like to chime in about New
Order's "Procession" and "Electronic Renaissance". Listen to JUST THE
BEGINNINGS of both songs in a row- the way the synth-melody goes
dooooowwwnn/uuuuuuuuuuuup, dooooooooooooown/uuuuuuuuuup at the beginnings of
both songs is remarkably similar, as is the rather dark/melancholy bass line
that brings it back down to earth soon after... It CERTAINLY isn't anything
like the glossily overproduced Technique, in my opinion. "ER" is very lo-fi,
really one of the loest-fi B&S have ever done.

Of course, none of this is to start off any kind of B&S/New Order
comparison, obviously that's going nowhere fast, as "ER" is "reminiscent"
ONLY (not a "copy") of "Procession", "Sleep the Clock Around" sounds a
little reminiscent (again not a "copy") of Stereolab, and there's nothing
else remotely like those two in the B&S ouevre. Any comment on THIS?

I've come to believe our ears all hear things very differently, so the above
is solely my opinion, but I thought I'd contribute to the little thread.

And also, the Looper show here in Portland, OR (USA) was very good. Wee Karn
actually TYPES on a typewriter for "Impossible Things", and the video show
was super-cute. They didn't do an encore, but they did include "Who's Afraid
of Y2K?" as the show closer, so I'm pretty sure we got everything.

-Two or Three Things I Know About Chris