Sinister: no longer a GYBE! virgin

A. Memon memon at xxx.com
Fri Jul 16 01:53:39 BST 1999

hello all,

i've just got back from two full-on cinematic hours of Godspeed You Black Emperor! at the Union Chapel in London.
Like many, I missed my first chance to see them at the Bowlie Fest, due to a clash with a duo called Belle and Sebastian (sorry, I plagarised that from Duglas T Stewart), but from the people who went to that show, I was told I wouldnt be disappointed today.

I arrived catching the last cool waves of Fridge (bad pun i know), but they were playing those hard twangy basslines and thudding drums that I didnt feel like tonight. Sorta like Ui if you're familiar with them, but with some keyboards over the top.
So when GYBE! came onstage and slowly did the same thing, i thought i would be disappointed.

what they initially started of with was quite sinister. very evil. satanic sounds almost. all this in a church remember. no smoking signs adorned the place, but i still couldnt help feel a little evil through the music i heard. the music could best be described as a soundtrack to walking barefoot over broken glass and enjoying it. yeah, quite sadistic. but then, what seemed to be the 3rd song (and about 30 minutes into the gig) they did this tune that lifted me right outta my place on the bench, and sent me in heaven's direction. it was a progression up some scale that only made you feel like you were an angel and loving what you looked down upon (see "wings of desire"). after this i was hooked. the song took me to new  heights previously experienced only when i was down and unhappy. (seeing Smog and Palace back in 95 had the same effect)
see, i wasnt up for any menacing rhythms and melody, i was quite content with life as it had been today, and needed no change thank you very much. i left the gig saying "i am a changed person."

they're playing tomorrow (friday) at the same venue, and i dont think its sold out. £10 was more than enough value for money. ts good to see cellos, violins, xylophones and an upright bass drum (a la mo tucker) being used to good effect. one guitar part i heard even sounded like the guitar hum right at the start of "if you're feeling sinister."

i've got to cut it short now only as i have to clamber into bed and get some sleep, but i hope someone sees them tomorrow and feels the same way i did. (sorry poetry café for the clash).

goodnight,
amos