Sinister: La Magie Blanche Pour Les Aimants

David Moore Daf_Moore at xxx.com
Sun Jul 18 15:21:22 BST 1999

Hi Motherless Children,

Recently my listening has centred around Belle and Sebastian almost to the
point of obsession, so I thought I should branch out a bit. Having been Too
Pooped To PoCaff on Friday, Sally & I went to an excellent gig last night
to see that rarity, 2 worthwhile bands on the same bill. (There was a
third, but they were pooh.) First good band (1) played brilliantly,
especially the singer's beehive hairdo & her eyelashes, apparently a legacy
from the Springfield estate. (That's Dusty, not the Simpsons' hometown,
little ones) Bloody good guitarist as well, not so much spanking his plank
as wrestling it to the ground, overpowering it & then strangling it.
Reminded me of Billy Coté, but maybe that's a common influence from
Thurston Moore. Only problem was, he looked just like Stuart Murdoch.
(Cheekbones)

The headliners (2) featured a singer called Isabel and a cello. Damn! Is
there no escape? However Isabel was a passionate Latin fireball strutting
around playing bass & singing like a demon, & teasing the little indie boys
in the front row. Great tunes, excellent playing, and kept doing encores,
including Sebadoh & Pavement covers, until the management finally threw
them off stage. Oh, & they kicked off with FOUR cellos on stage, one of
which played by a bloke whom Sally had a crush on at 14 when he was in The
Hanging Tree. She talked to him afterwards,  which was nice, & I squeezed
hands with Isabel, & she was really nice, too. And tiny. When not on stage.

My mouth is opening & closing, and no words are coming out, but only
because bloody Miller stole them all! (Including the typos :) ) Firstly he
purloined:

        This section houses a very nice autobigraphical piece by Stuart Lee
        Murdosch, which every self-respecting B&S fan will want to read and
        learn by heart. It's really very nice, I hope it's the first
        installment of a full length autobiography.

So I sat back & tried to think of something suitably cutting & witty about
the revived B&S (BuS?) site & its relationship to Sinister & Jeepster, but
found that he had written this:

        Well done to Chris Leonard and new listee Mick Cooke for their
        excellent new websites. I don't think it would be going too far to
say
        that they both have the potential to eventually become essential.

Bastard! (3)

Those life-changing Flaming Lips are in session on John Peel this Tuesday
evening, and there's a new Cinerama 7" out soon on Elefant: anyone wanting
a bit more info mail me.

I don't know where this Sunday has gone but my underarms smell, and my
kitchen DOES look like hell.

Big love,

David Moore
Chelmsford, UK