Sinister: Eyes Wide/Marine Research/Beautiful Portland, OR

McQuain, Chris CMcQuain at xxx.org
Mon Jul 19 20:03:22 BST 1999

I absolutely have to agree with Dawn who wrote:

> [...]
watching almost his whole catalogue last week, I would have to say this is
one of Kubrick's best. Primary colors have not been used so well since
Goddard's Weekend. The suspense builds slow and the story is more one of
infidelity than sexual obsession. I liked the music; it added flavor. If you

like Kubrick, you will see many scenic views that can only be called
Kubrickian. I can't recall which critic said it, but it was said that if you

expect to see a movie that will require a cold shower after, forget it, the
movie is a cold shower<<<<<<

A girl who loves Kubrick, actually knows Godard's Weekend, and into Belle &
S? I normally play for the Pink Team, but Dawn- will you marry me?

Yes, the use of colors, yes the lovely, leisurely pace of the film (it
savors each moment, however excruciating, beautiful, or both), yes to Tom
and Nicole whipping each other around emotionally (ESPECIALLY Nicole's
disturbing confessions) and NOT consummating, and YES YES to a final line to
equal Alex's "I was 'cured', all right" from Clockwork Orange. Eyes Wide
Shut is a good kick in the teeth to anybody expecting a Tom Cruise movie, or
Basic Instinct-style 'erotics'. All of it is an identifiably STANLEY KUBRICK
FILM! HURRAH! The bright, piercing light coming in through every window and
crevice, the cold, harshly observant camera leading and/or following the
characters down stark corridors, the stately grace, it's all too perfect.
I'd say it's a truly great film, and I'd also say that 95% of the audience
(in America, at least) will be there for all the wrong reasons, and will not
like the film at all. But I loved it.

I've been reading Kubrick's biography, and it turns out he was heavily
influenced (and good friends with) famed photographer (who committed suicide
in the 1970s) Diane Arbus- in fact, the "Twins" scenes from The Shining seem
directly inspired by a particular Arbus photograph of twins. The close-ups
of the menacing masked characters in Eyes Wide Shut also seemed, to me, a
very Arbus moment.

I'll probably be seeing Marine Research twice later today- once at an
in-store promo appearance at local uber-indie record shop Ozone, and then
later at their show here (opening for The Make-Up). Does anybody have any
info on the Marine Research discography? As far as I know, they just have
the "Queen B" 7 inch. Any info greatly appreciated!

If any Sinisterines ever visit Portland, OR, I would highly recommend
popping into Ozone, and also across the street to Powell's Books, the
largest independent book store on the West Coast and full of goodies-
everything from their 300 copies of Catcher in the Rye to the first-edition
Iris Murdochs to most any kind of 'zine or (literary) porn you can imagine.
Anything you want, they're bound to have- we're talking massive floor space
with shelves to the ceiling. I'm so proud of mah town sometahmes, ah could
just burst, ah do declare!

Beckoning with Open Arms and Open Fields of Eucalyptus Westward Bound to
Portland-

-Two or Three Things I Know about Chris (and I know Dawn knows where this
little moniker comes from....)