Sinister: tigermilk, blair witches, defender of the self-rightous

**Megan Lehar** mkl206 at xxx.edu
Wed Jul 21 03:36:44 BST 1999

hi

i've been barely keeping up with sinister as the apartment is so fucking
hot that sitting down at the computer is pretty much the last thing i want
to do generally.  that and i've been addicted to a bandicoot named crash.
it's only a prequel to what will happen when unjammer lammy comes out here
in the states.  i'm soooo ready.

so anyway, at work i look at the top selling cds on amazon each week, and
low and behold, tigermilk was at 23!!!!!!  i nearly fell off my chair.  let
me say that it was listed above britney spears, which i found fairly
impressive.  and i can't believe it's at 13 on the uk charts.  i know
everyone else is so blase, but for a band on an independent label with no
major backing and limited radio support, that's really amaziing.  i'm so
inundated with music industry shit all day, it's nice to realize that that
many people choose the music they want to hear, rather than listen to
anything that's playing.

sigh.  so on to the next rant.  i can't understand how anyone could not
like the blair witch project.  it's totally different from anything else
i've seen, it had such a complex story.  i mean, i don't usually see a
movie and then look up information on it and check the website and watch a
false documentary days later.  but it's different information.  i don't
know, it's this amazing complex world, where the parts you don't see are as
important as the ones you do, sometimes more so.  as for the person who
couldn't imagine filming something when you were being attacked, why not?
i admit, if something totally weird was happening, wouldn't you want to
prove it?  what about all those people who film tornados that are waaaay
too close.  and how exactly are you going to fight something that you can't
see or find?  in movies we expect people to have the right response rather
than the human response.  plus it's pretty scary, excrutiating at some
points.

At 12:03 PM 7/19/99, McQuain, Chris wrote:
>A girl who loves Kubrick, actually knows Godard's Weekend, and into Belle &
>S? I normally play for the Pink Team, but Dawn- will you marry me?

alright, i know i tend to find fault with chris' posts a lot, but this
perhaps rubbed me the wrong way.  maybe it's because i take shit from boys
all day at film school, and we're not talking obvious stuff, more like the
let-me-have-my-friend-who-is-a-boy-shoot-the-camera-because-i-have-yet-to-de
velop-the-social-skills-to-accept-that-girls-are-human-beings.  girls are
not immune to good film!!!  we don't learn about all bands from our
boyfriends and we are capable of choosing movies we want to see without
male influence!!!  grrrr!!!  i'm sure i will come off as something easily
dismissed by those who need to hear this most, but my grievences are real
and one day i'm going to go postal and hit someone on the head with a
camera.  this shoudl serve as a warning to everyone i know.

so anyway, i don't think i garnered any crush votes, but this was, at least
somewhat, related to b&s.

xoxo
megan

mkl206 at is8.nyu.edu