Sinister: Ah been misconstrued!

McQuain, Chris CMcQuain at xxx.org
Wed Jul 21 05:23:29 BST 1999

I. AM. A. FEMINIST.

There, I said it and I feel so much better. I'm a feminist in an
pro-ERA/pro-porn/pro-choice/Camille Paglia kind of way, not a radical
gender-superiority kind of way, but still, what Megan wrote I feel I must
clear up:

>A girl who loves Kubrick, actually knows Godard's Weekend, and into Belle &

>S? I normally play for the Pink Team, but Dawn- will you marry me?

alright, i know i tend to find fault with chris' posts a lot, but this
perhaps rubbed me the wrong way.  maybe it's because i take shit from boys
all day at film school, and we're not talking obvious stuff, more like the
let-me-have-my-friend-who-is-a-boy-shoot-the-camera-because-i-have-yet-to-de
velop-the-social-skills-to-accept-that-girls-are-human-beings.  girls are
not immune to good film!!!  <<<<<<<<

Okay, let me translate what I wrote for the humor impaired: As one who plays
for The Pink Team, it would be highly unusual for me to propose to a girl.
It would also be highly unusual to find a PERSON, boy or girl, who worships
at the twin Kubrick/Godard altars. The only reason I had to use the word
'girl' instead of the word 'person' is so my rather flip little joke would
make sense, but I see it backfired. I in no way meant to imply that girls
need to be led into good taste by boys. In fact, in my experience, it's
often the opposite case. I'm horrified that this has been mis-read as
misogynistic and patronizing. I know the person for whom it was intended
didn't mind it at all- at least SHE got the joke. It makes about as much
sense for somebody to take the 'girl' thing seriously as it does for Dawn to
fly out here to Portland for our 'wedding'. I honestly don't understand it.

If I didn't take every last thing written on this list with a grain of salt
and a good sense of humour, I'm sure I would've been offended hundreds of
times over by now. Yet somebody takes offense at well-intentioned,
shyly-stuttering, utterly inoffensive me? Well, I choose not to be offended
by THAT, either, but I hope this post will clear up any misconceptions about
me being some kind of chauvinist pig. Pink Teamers hardly ever are, and if
they are they should be doubly ashamed.

And speaking of the Pink Team, are those rumors about Steven Merritt being a
bit of a prick unless you're young, male, and gorgeous true? I love the
man's music but Ive heard this rumor from every young lady I've ever known
who has attempted to approach him...

-Two or Three Things I Know About Chris