Sinister: She's a jar with a heavy lid...my pop quiz kid

Walkn10 at xxx.com Walkn10 at xxx.com
Thu Jul 22 08:08:45 BST 1999

I've been witness to the recent bashing of two things I happen to fancy quite
well, one being Saving Private Ryan and the other being Evan Dando.

I believe someone implied that Private Ryan was a boring film.  Hopefully
this was some tongue-in-cheek sarcasm I totally missed (as usual) because I
can't think of a single film thats kept my attention for 3 hours other than
this.  The plot was half decent, but Spielburg's directing was incredible and
the dialogue and screenplay knocked me out as well.  I guess the whole
success of this kind of film depends on the audience member forging some kind
of bond or interest with the characters and if this isn't there then I can
see how it could be contrued as boring.  But if this film didn't move you in
the least you might wanna check for a pulse.
I know everyone hates Mr. Dando, and as a person I'm sure he's pure goats
arse, but I think his music is quite great.  The first couple of Lemonheads'
punk albums did kind of suck when that other guy was singing but I openly
profess my love of every Lemonheads record since he took the helm.  I dig his
voice alot just because its so smooth and deep and manliesque and he does
have a neat way with a turn of a phrase (i.e.- "patience is like bread I say,
I ran out of that yesterday").  He is a cocky sonofabitch, thats for sure.  I
read somewhere that he got thrown out of a B&S show in NY and then arrested
afterwards because he refused to leave.  I agree that he's probably 100% pure
bastard and thats probably why I can't develop any deep affection for a
Lemonheads album, but I'll give the guy his credit as an ace songwriter.

Is this Kennedy Tragedy stuff depressing the living hell out of anyone else?
I never really knew too much about the guy beforehand but now that every
second of his being that was caught on tape is being replayed every 5
minutes, I'm starting to dig him.  He really seemed like a nice, modest,
sweet guy that was just existing as we were.  Having to watch him salute his
father's casket over and over, and seeing him wrestle with his wife and
nephews at the Kennedy compound is just too depressing to focus on for too
long.  I feel worse about his death than if he was like his asshole uncle
Ted, drunk all the time and using his last name like a badge.  I guess the
easiest remedy would be to change the channel, but hey! I'm pretty weak when
it comes to celebrity tragedies I suppose.  When Di was killed I couldn't
leave the TV for a week.  Call me a vulture if you will but my life is pretty
dull.so what else am I gonna do?  Any other people who feel somehow
fascinated by these things please post so I don't look like a total arse.

James Taylor is soooo good.  Sweet Baby James reminds me of B&S in some
places.  Happy Hemingway birthday!

Steve C.