Sinister: Let's kick misfits out of rock

Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk
Thu Jul 22 14:59:22 BST 1999

Here's the Tom Cox Guardian review that should have gone in last week.  Isn't he
wicked?

Belle and Sebastian
Tigermilk (Jeepster)
3/5 stars

The most irritating thing about Belle And Sebastian?s Stuart Murdoch is that,
like Morrissey in the 80s, he seems to be on a preplanned mission to rescue his
own misfit army from drab bedroom oblivion.
Fat girls with lisps, wilting boys with eye patches, tank-top nobodies with
Saturday jobs in Debenhams ? Murdoch sings to them as Wimp Supreme,
self-consciously liberating his "children" ? and never more effetely than on
this formerly-rare 1996 debut.
As frustratingly pasty, winsome and intermittently limp as a union between Nick
Drake, The Left Banke and a 1982 primary school assembly, Tigermilk is a hard
record to love without a burning sadistic desire to steal its National Health
glasses and kick its lunchbox around the playground. (TC)

Who said the new album is going to be all Stuart Murdoch songs?  I think this is
not true.  Wot no Winter Wooskie?

It's funny all that stuff about Monica Queen being the Trio girl.  I think I had
always had the connection loitering in my mind, but I needed Chris Leonard to
tease it out of my consciousness.
Sadly, references to Trio adverts will be lost on the very young and all those
who don't come from this country.  But I don't pity you.   Gratuitous use of
late 20th century phrase and fable is not an altogether good thing,  especially
when it's of the 'Ooh bring back Spangles and Jamie and the Magic Torch'
variety.  Yet Chris carries it off with style, as always.  Better than Staurtemm
does with his clumsy 'Man about the House' references, if you ask me.  Perhaps
he could delegate TV nostalgia lyrics to Chris.  It's about time the band took
on another member.

Nikki xx