Sinister: A mile and a half on a Polish bus takes a long time...

Robyn Fadden rfadden at xxx.com
Sat Jul 24 00:55:00 BST 1999

Hello new tall elegant rich kids,
All this talk of czech weather and soft-core
pornography has inspired me to speak up and introduce
myself... so here's a story:
It was the end of February and I was on a bus in
Poland the first time I heard Belle and Sebastian. The
sun had finally come out after days of rain and I
could lean my head against the window because for once
it wasn't cold and dripping with condensation. I was
leaving for the last time a town in the east where I
had spent 3 months with a Canada World Youth group
(lots of active citizenship, sustainable community
talk, yes we will grow up to be good citizens, oh but
the world can be nasty... It's another story
alltogether, all about my early 20s and the
cultivation of cynicism). Ten minutes out of town, the
project leader (who is actually named Sebastien!)
handed me a package from a friend, "oh, something came
for you today", and inside were three tapes, and on
the A-side of one was TBWTAS. When I heard "a mile and
a half on a bus takes a long time…", I kind of jumped
a little in my red polyester seat. When I heard "in a
town so small there's nothing left to do…" I knew this
music/listener relationship was meant to be. Usually
not a walkman-obsessed person, I had those headphones
on for B&S for the next week, sitting on buses for
hours, writing in my journal in a hostel in the Polish
mountains, flying home to Canada. So B&S came at a
significant time in my life, became a kind of
soundtrack music for closing a chapter and beginning a
new one. Anyway, so now I'm in Vancouver and can’t
stop listening to Tigermilk – I…just…can't… It's so
good and whoever said it’s hard to listen to other
music, I fully understand. I’m starting to return to
the rest of my collection though, bit by bit.
Oh, I too saw "Eyes Wide Shut". Saw it in a big new
theatre with sloped seating so you don’t see anyone's
head and the screen seems really really big (b/c it
is…) Yes, it made me think, but then don’t you think
about concepts of deception, fantasy/reality and
truth/lies often and don't other movies also make you
think of these things? Yes, but this was Kubrick and
it was great to look at (no, not b/c everyone's naked,
which they aren't. Geez, all the media fuss about
nekkidness, I mean c'mon america, you're so porn it's
not even funny.)  Anyway, Nicole Kidman is really good
– the movie should have been about her character more
than Tom Cruise's (which is yer usual white, rich male
being naive and power hungry, etc.) Anyway, lots to
say about it, but this is a B&S place. It's good, it's
worth seeing.
But also see the movie "Rushmore" (which is now on
video and I saw it yesterday) because it is sweet and
weird and good.
That's all the rambling for now. Have a good weekend
everyone! I’m going swimming...! Back to "I could be
dreaming"
P.S. Hey nick, I will write back when I have more
time. Plus, Vancouverites, where are you?!!
Robyn

===
I was reading the dictionary. I thought it was a poem about everything. ~Steven Wright
~~~
Robyn Fadden    rfadden at yahoo.com    Vancouver, BC