Sinister: the cars, trains, and airplanes will stall

Dan Cohen wizard at xxx.com
Mon Jul 26 19:28:15 BST 1999

It warms my heart a bit to see people posting from belleandsebastian.org
addresses, because a certain Mr. Heath Seals is far swanker than any of
you could imagine, and it's swell how you've all patronized him and lily
and the happy swirl of nothingness that is b&s.org. but i digress.

I hadn't posted about my Looper experiences this weekend, so I suppose I
will do so now. Wednesday I saw the TLA show with my good friend Gina;
Bardo Pond was a sorry opener, especially with the flute-smacking lead
singer and the mostly out-of-tune band, but DJ Pinkai was acceptable,
and my very first Looper show was an enjoyable experience indeed. The
Y2K song is extremely pretty and the tape I made came out quite well
considering the poor acoustics of the place.

Then on Friday it was New York City with Gina and our friend Leigh. We
got there somewhat late, but managed to make it near the front of the
stage. (that was me in the blue spaceboy shirt, "being that guy" cf.
PCU, by the way) The opening band, whose name I think was Summerbell
Roundup, was good if a bit depressing, and Khan was a riot. I said,
quite loudly, "I like heavy metal!", at the beginning of their set, and
the lead singer handed me an autographed (by Khan, anyway) copy of a
really horrid Kiss tape. I suppose he took that as a bit of an advance,
because he kept swinging his hips and microphone in my and Leigh's faces
in sort of a psuedo-homoerotic fashion (in contrast, the singer who
looked a lot like a third-rate member of Men at Work was a bit more
reserved), and it was a bit distressing :)

Later on, they did their striptease, and he handed Gina an autographed
packet of Wet Light brand anal lubricant, which was a bit unnerving, but
'twas all in good fun, I suppose. Looper then came on, and while it was
the same set as Philly (with the exception of the encore, which was
pretty and acoustic and distinctly non-Looperish), the crowd was a lot
more rabid. The bass, by virtue of the rack of speakers at our feet, was
also more vibrant, which caused in me a bad case of tinnitus and in Gina
a fainting spell, which was a bit frightening as Leigh carried her
outside while I stayed on to bootleg. I was a little confused as the
show went on, but the tape turned out even better than the TLA show.
Tramps was a fun venue, and the freebie CDs Spin magazine was handing
out was a nice touch as well. At any rate, I'd like to hear people's
recollections of the show(s) if they were in attendance, and also get in
touch with the girl and boy who wanted to contact me re: trades for the
bootlegs and whose address I seem to have misplaced or run through the
wash. Now I will go lurk somewhere far, far away from any form of
culture *sniffle*

-Dan