Sinister: Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

allen ussher at xxx.ca
Mon Jul 26 23:13:25 BST 1999

Well, I'm certainly surprised by how many people have read The Onion (fave
headline:  Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes).  Is it actually sold on
streetcorners and at newsstands and such in the US?  I accidentally bumped
into their site whilst searching for any web sites on that song Mr.  Roboto
by Styx*.

They featured an article entitled "Nation's Rappers Down to Last Two
Samples" wherein it was noted that rappers have sampled just about
everything -- except for two songs:  "Mr. Roboto" and "Tiptoe through the
tulips" -- and now there was a crisis of epic proportions as there'd
definitely be a bidding war for those last two songs.  Hilarious.

I'm sorry if anyone here is a Styx fan or else a huge "Mr. Roboto" fan, but
that song is too damn funny.  It's so 80s and cheesy.  I first heard it on a
VW commercial and then heard the full song on the radio a little while ago.
I especially love the "secret, secret" chant in the verse.  (Watch as Allen
runs out to buy the album with Mr. Roboto on it for laughs and turns into a
huge Styx fan and denounces all his current faves, including B&S.  Hey, it
could happen.)

* This reminds me of my junior high language arts teacher who was teaching
us greek mythology at one point (great subject, BTW).  And it turns out
there is a River Styx in greek mythology.  Well, said teacher never failed
to point out, "Oh, there's a rock band with the name Styx that you may be
familiar with. <smirk>"  Like she was trying to be "groovy" and "hip" and
"cool" and such and such.  When, in fact, she was just being "square."  I
swear, she must've mentioned it 20 times and each time I'd think, "Dammit!
We've never heard of that band before!!!  We listen to GOOD music like
Vanilla Ice, Kris Kross, M.C. Hammer and other talented artists."  (This is
what was popular in the early '90s for a little while for those not in the
know.  Egads, some people even wore their pants backwards to look like Kris
Kross.  lol)  Too funny...

(shameless plug -- i'm gonna put up 2 new eliza strips on my page soon)
be seeing you,
Allen (ICQ: #35152981)
--
"Long afloat on shipless oceans