Sinister: I'm a soulmate

Jan Imgrund jimgrund at xxx.fr
Tue Jul 27 20:42:36 BST 1999

>> Anyway,to business.Brandt was wondering about a "perfect" mate.I
think you'll find that if such creatures existed there would be no
relationships.Ever.We'd all be waiting for the perfect person.The
best anyone gets is"good enough" or "the best I'm going to get".In my
somewhat limited experience anyway. <<

Well I am reluctant to say so, because no one will believe me, but I
think I indeed have found the perfect mate.. a soulmate, *the*
soulmate. But I am not in love with her, and she‘s not in love with
me... can one be in love with one‘s soulmate? It‘s probably a
question of definition: I would say one can‘t, because there is too
much harmony in such a relationship. The way I see it, for a love,
there always must be some tension, some difference... and that‘s of
course also the reason why it‘s likely to fall apart at some stage.
But with a soulmate, it‘s different.. the way I am feeling now, this
is something that can never break up again; the reason perhaps being
that we do not feel any kind of duty for each other to stay together,
or, to put it simply: Where there is no love, there is no way the
love could go away.
You can imagine perhaps that I have had a hard time explaining this
special kind of relationship to others: it is nothing that fits into
any kind of conception society usually stuffs one into. (It‘s not
either a „platonic friendship“, because, ho-hum... of the lack of
platonicity..) Often I just say she‘s my girlfriend, to go out of the
way of complicated explanations.
We did not know what to call it either until she‘s come up with
calling me her „companion“. I like that. I think that‘s it. We are
companions. Maybe it‘s a little like what was going on between JP
Sartre and Simone... though I cannot really tell, because I have not
read much about what their relationship was like.
But of course this kind of thing also has its problems, especially:
what happens if one of us falls in love with someone different? I for
one still feel that I could very well love someone else, and, even
though we have been saying that we don‘t have to be true to one
another, she would certainly be jealous.. as would I in the opposite
case. what‘s more, as we are sharing a flat right now, having a third
person in „our“ life would lead to some practical difficulties.
Concerning „real“ love, I agree to what Marianne said about the two
kinds of love. I have had a few times *this* crush feeling for
someone, bt most of the time I knew perfectly well that this could
never lead to a relationship... and I did not even try to make it
into one. Which means: I had my crush, and I did not do anything, and
eventually the feeling would fade. I still think that this was wise,
though it was also cowardish (cowardy? cowardly?? sorry for my
english)
Once, though, the feeling was so strong that I tried my luck anyway,
and it ended in a predictable disaster... And the times that there
was a proper relationship, there was sometimes this feeling of
something missing, as Marianne said.  I probably expect too much from
love... I don‘t know.
Sometimes I miss being in love, for I have not been in love for quite
a long time... but, on the other hand, what I have now is so very
much; there is nothing to complain about. I am a happier man now than
I ever thought I could be.

Well... so there. I just wanted to share. I‘m afraid there is nothing
to be learned from all this; just, perhaps, that love, relationship,
is different for everyone and that you only run into problems if you
try to figure out what to call your feelings. This does not need
names or classifications. Just be as sincere as you can. Oh sorry,
that sounds cheesy.
Oh, BTW, does anyone know from whom the sentence is: „It‘s better to
have loved and lost than never to have loved at all“? I‘m ashamed to
ask, because it‘s so famous.. but please, have patience with my lack
of knowledge.

Regards,
Jan

The Dark Site of the Moon:
   http://perso.club-internet.fr/jimgrund/index.html
Tindersticks page:
   http://perso.club-internet.fr/jimgrund/tinderpage/tinder.html
To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance. -Oscar Wilde