Sinister: The loneliness of a long-play record

Marcus Omond marcusomond at xxx.com
Tue Jul 27 20:55:02 BST 1999

hello, my lovelies,

i was bored earlier today (having nothing to do until your silly university
sends you your reading list can get a touch dull) so i had a look through
all my dad's old seven inches.  i don't actually like seven inches that much
- i don't think they're as pretty as cds, and twelve inches are much cooler.
  why didn't sixties bands put things on twelves?  but i digress...

anyway, the wonderful 'loneliness of a middle distance runner' was going
through my head, and my heart jumped up a notch when i found one of those
soft seven inch things that i think used to be used for promos et cetera -
they're all floppy when you shake them around.  and it was called 'the
loneliness of a long play record (33 1/3 rpm)'.  and so i rushed over to the
vinyl machine and laid it down.  i was greeted by the voice of one mister
john lennon, and then yoko came in - they were babbling about giving up
drugs, and how beethoven was the way forward or something.  then they
started singing weird lyrics over the top of beethoven's fifth...  bizarre.
but then it started sounding really excited and jumpy, and so i pulled it
off...  hope i haven't scratched it - ouch, that would hurt (when my dad
finds out i mean... ;) ).

so, does anyone know if this has anything to do with mr stuart 'sexy arms'
murdoch's masterpiece?  or are they both just reffering to the novella.
it's kind of funny that - two of the three greatest songwriters of this
century using the same words (almost) in a song title... i wonder if dylan
ever refferred to it... now that WOULD be spooky...

hmm... list crushes...  is it possible to find out who's voted for who?  i
can't really see how it could be, seeing as you don't type in your name or
anything.  or maybe i'm underestimating the powers of big brother (and big
stu).  anyway, i'd be ruined if it was disclosed who i'd voted for.  i'm a
complete list-slut - i've voted for at least five people.  but they all
deserve it, because they're all either cute or funny or both.  mainly both.
especially the gorgeous, sexy, to-die-for geoff... (hope swedish becka got a
photo of me kissing him - my finest hour :) )  oh, and i've noticed a
problem in the list-crush - both geoff and i are down under two names, and
so we don't see our true position reflected.  it's not fair! ;)

oh yes - i'm very interested in looper's shop performance - it sounds
beautiful.  if anyone has got it, please mail me privately, and i'll trade
you whatever you want from my anorak's collection of b&s thingies.  or some
dylan.  oh, and all you thousands of sinisteroonies i've promised tapes to,
they're all on their way (slowly).  only ten or so more to go...

meganelise is absolutely right about love when she said:
>admiration + respect + trust= meganelise's idea of love. (influenced >by
>hal hartley's film "trust")
>as you can see "need" does not add into this equation...

i haven't seen a hartley film ever (phillistine!), but this sounds really
right to me.  it's not good (for me at least) when someone's going on about
needing you and how you're their life and things.  i mean, it's flattering
at the start, but after a while it just gets annoying (i have this problem
with my ickle sister).  in fact, in my view the best way it's ever been put
is in 'simple things' - 'if you want me, i'll be there' - he's being
selfless and supportive rather than saying 'i need you'.  and this shows he
loves her.  my favorite listee by along way explains this much better in her
post a while ago about joyce's 'a portrait of the artist as a young man'.

oh, i laughed very loud and for a long time earlier today after reading the
last paragraph of kevan cooke's post.  thank you for cheering up my day :)

um, i think that's all i've got to say.  hope to see lots of you on primrose
hill on saturday - i'll bring booze and crisps.  oh, and 'ma vie en rose' is
the most beautiful film i've seen in a long time, and i want children that
pretty and sensitive.  and i won't mind if they cross dress at all.  i used
to cross dress, actually.  natasha can confirm i looked rather fetching in a
nurses uniform aged six...

i'll go now - love to all (does anyone else have this problem with defining
love words - 'going out', 'dating', 'boyfriend/girlfriend', 'in love',
'love' at the end of letters, 'love' proper?  english is a twisted and
difficult language when it comes to loving.  maybe that's part of the reason
that the brits are traditionally seen as repressed when it comes to sex...
discuss... (sorry, trying to get in the mood for essays after a year of
slacking)),

love and kisses (if you want them...)

Marcus XXX