Sinister: The loneliness of a long-play record

gareth james gripper_sea at xxx.com
Thu Jul 29 05:50:42 BST 1999

I have been on the list for about 3 months now but this is my
first mail .
I have enjoyed reading all your mails but have not posted until
I actually had something interesting and relevant to say as not to boor you
all shitless .Which is something I am about to do anyway

Marcus  wrote :
>i had a look through all my dad's old seven inches.  i don't actually like
>seven inches that much
>- i don't think they're as pretty as cds, and twelve inches are much
>cooler.
>  why didn't sixties bands put things on twelves?  but i digress...
>anyway, the wonderful 'loneliness of a middle distance runner' was going
>through my head, and my heart jumped up a notch when i found one of those
>soft seven inch things that i think used to be used for promos et cetera -
>they're all floppy when you shake them around.  and it was called'the
>loneliness of a long play record (33 1/3 rpm)'.  and so i rushed over to
>the vinyl machine and laid it down.

I disagree .Vinal no matter what form is always better than
soulless cd's .60's records were not realised on 12' because they
were not made commercially available until 1976 (don't ask me how I
know that). I think that record is probably worth a small fortune
because most of them would have been discarded or destroyed .
If you want to play it place it on top of another record and place
a one pence (or any other small coin in the centre) and then it won't
skip as it gets close to the middle .

I think had better tell you all a little about myself since it is
my first email .
b&s and this mailing list is a godsend to me as I work 4week on a boat
in the north sea and then I get 4 weeks off (which I normally spend in
London) .I would love to meet some of you from the list but all the
picnics seem to coinside with my time on the boat.
Any planed for 11 of August till the 16 of September and I will
gladly come along .I am aways up for a beer or two.
Tigermilk is just great .
I saved it up for three days before I came away so I would have
something to look forward to .
As you can imagine there is not much to do on the boat apart
from read listen to music and wank .So its all very B&S out
here .
I fact one of my fellow worker's spotted IYFS in my cd'd (I now
I said cd's are soulless but its a bit difficult to play vinal
on the high sea's).He put it on the cd player saying that he loved them.I
then told him that I had a copy of Tigermilk .How did you get that/1000
copies ...etc .
Needless to say I have not seen it since .

What do you think separates a great band like B&S and an average
one .
I think it's when you hear the record it sounds so familiar
like your favorite top or pair to trainers .
They remind me of all my favorite bands but still sound unlike
anyone else .They would have stood out as a great band any time
over the last four decades .

One last thing loosely connected to the loneliness of a long-play record
.Did anyone work out which version of 'what goes on'
they covered.
Was it the Beatles or V.U .Both are great records but I think
a cover of the Beatles one would be more Interesting but I am
hoping its both .

Love to you all

Gareth