Sinister: looper in New Yorker, Looper at tramps, Radiohead fans @ tramps

FearOfPop7 at xxx.com FearOfPop7 at xxx.com
Sat Jul 31 03:38:33 BST 1999

In a message dated 99-07-30 20:24:37 EDT, kwl96 at hamp.hampshire.edu writes:

<< but this was in last week's new yorker magazine:

 "looper is the brainchild of belle and sebastian bassist stuart david, his
 visual-artist wife, karn, and his photographer brother, guitarist ronnie
 black. stuart sings and speaks with a soft scottish lilt, and the group's
 low-fi songs are infused with the sounds of children cackling, typewriter
 keys clicking, andother odd sounds. their performances are backed by
 karn's homespun video images of toy scooterw, tree houses, and
 spaceships. the net effect is a childlike exuberance that's still enver
 far from the cruelty of youth, a prime example of which is the lovely
 ballad "burning flies".

i heard about this article as well but not by reading it. it was 2 am in the
morning and my friend and i just got off the train from the looper show in
NYC. the train car was empty by this stop and i had just finished an article
about Stanley Kubrick in Premiere. so down the steps we went to go and look
for his dad's car. when we found it and got in, his dad starts shooting off
these looper facts. "How was the show with the bassist from Belle and
Sebastian? Did they have any video footage of kids running around?," were
almost his exact words (it was 2 in the morning). It was quite the strange
occurance because my friend had told none of this to his father. so my friend
got around to asking where the hell he found that out from and he came back
with, "It was in the New Yorker."

i myself am a quiet lurker. i only wrote this because im at my aunt's house
with nothing better to do. the looper show was quiet entertaining but i was a
little disappointed that the songs were stripped down. they just didn't have
enough people to play the little riffs that get added throughout each song.
my friend and i waited outside tramps from about 5:30 to 8:30 because we got
into the city too early. the plus side to that was we got to talk to stu d
and karn outside the club before the show. they seemed kinda surprised to see
anyone there that early. they signed my friend's looper cd (i forgot mine)
but i got my ticket stub signed by both of them. karn used stu's back as a
writing surface.

well, i guess i have nothing else to write.
wait, i've thought of something. i met some people at the show who were big
Radiohead fans but we didn't get to talk much. they said they were on the RH
mailing list but if they're on this one too, email me if you'd like to talk
more about the Radiohead or whatever.

-chris