Sinister: On being in love, Hal Hartley and good books

Brandt S. Fundak bfundak at xxx.edu
Tue Jun 1 09:54:02 BST 1999

I seem to be making a habit of posting to the list...something I am usually
very reticent to do, but events of tonight made me want to share with you
what I view to be many of the wonders of life, something that I feel many
sinisterites may find relevant to this list.

First, I would like to say that I live in a town where a Christian
bookstore burns and an ice cream parlor sprouts up in its place.  The ice
cream is very tasty, and a little more enlightening I've found than the
dogmatic nature of most Christian bookstores.

Secondly, if you tell someone you are in love with them and share a few
awkward kisses, and they call you the next day to hang out, that is a good
thing right?

Third, I just got done watching Henry Fool.  I thought I would share, as I
have heard a lot of the people on this list have raved about it.  I really
enjoyed this film, but I still have to stand by Rushmore (Out June 29 in
the US) as being the best film I have seen this year. However, I want to
check out more of Hartley's films (and those of Jim Jarmusch, whose Night
on Earth I really enjoyed.)  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I
should see next by either of these fine film makers?

That reminds me, while I am talking about film, I thought I might suggest a
couple of films that I have seen recently that I have really enjoyed. If
you get the chance, check out the aforementioned Rushmore, Bottle Rocket,
Rubin and Ed, Smoke Signals, Pi and Six String Samurai. I think that you
will enjoy these films, but then again you can tell me to sod off if you'd
like.

And I realize that a couple of posts ago that I slagged J.D. Salinger
(deservedly so) and I thought that those of you who know me via chat and
those of you who like to make snap judgements might have been thinking,
"Christ, does this guy like anything? What a negative fuck!" Well I will
make a peace offering by recommending on of my favorite authors, Russell
Banks, who wrote the brilliant novel THe Sweet Hereafter, which was
subsequently turned into the critically acclaimed film of the same name by
Atom Egoyan.  He has written other brilliant novels and I am reading
Continental Drift right now.

Okay, enough shooting off at the mouth.  I will try to limit my posts to
this list, but my life has been exciting and wonderful as of late, and this
list is a kind ear where I can share my deep thoughts, dreams, loves and
disappointments.

Brandt

"VIRGO AND CANCER:  Virgo provides the emotional security that Cancer needs
and the little attentions that provide affection.  Cancer's dependence
finds its perfect answer in Virgo's needs to be protective.  cancer's
imagination is stimulating to Virgo, and Cancer's anxiety to please deepens
Virgo's affections.Both will come out of their shell and begin to enjoy life."

							--Sexual Astrology (1976)