Sinister: Lyrics again

Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk
Tue Jun 1 13:37:29 BST 1999

Brandt told us a tender tale of falling in love with his best friend:

>>Someone was talking about having their heart broken last night and I
totally related, because I also put my heart on the line last night, also
with my best friend. She and I talked for a while, I found out what her
concerns about us going out were and no doors were shut. We're not
together, but we are, and we're still friends. I think the best part is
that there are still possibilities. >>

However, when I first looked at it,  I misread the last word as 'prostitutes'.

Anyway, I didn't come here to make cheap bathetic (ooh - he said 'bathetic')
jokes.  In conjunction with my contacts in the Irish civil service, I have
amended those unreleased lyrics that I posted a while ago.  Honey said he's
happy to put them up on the website, and I think they're almost ready now, so
hurry up with any last minute suggestions.  A few points:

- I've added 'Rhoda'.  In response to whoever it was that asked, those lines
about Nabsico and Kellogg's from the documentary would fit into the Special K
breakfast cereal theme, but as far as I know, they aren't actually in 'Rhoda'.
I can't really see 'Rhoda' getting released to be honest because it's not very
good. And does he really sing 'happy with a faggot friend?'.  That's what it
sounds like.

- I've left out the Century of Elvis and Space Boy Dream lyrics because Swedish
Katarina pointed out to me that they are now on the official Jeepster lyrics
page.  But their version says that Stuart jumps over a fence on his way to
Prior's Road, whereas I thought it said 'Byres Road' cause Byres Road seems to
be the place where everything in Glasgow's 'bohemian' fox-watching West End
happens.  But maybe it is Prior's Road - I dunno. I've also left out 'Pocketbook
Angel' and the other two demos from that tape because they aren't really B&S
songs and Stuart is apparently embarrassed by them or at least wouldn't want
their lyrics placed in a prominent position on the web.  Which is fair enough, I
think.

- Although they're not B&S lyrics, I've added the passage from Washington
Irving's 'Rip Van Winkle' that Isobel reads at the during 'I Could Be Dreaming.'
Thank you to foxinasnow Jess for this.

- I haven't done 'Winter Wooskie' yet.

- Has no one get any idea what the third line of 'Lord Anthony' really is?

Once again, I apologise for being so fucking boring.

Nick xx

Rhoda

Young girl, she's a simple person
Not as young as she looks
But whoever is in this day and age
In this day and age, yeah

She gives me goosebumps, picks up malaria (?)
Funny feeling like buying whisky in a whisky bar
The things she says
Yeah the the things she says

And on her arm there's freckles and scars
Do you know what they are?
Do you know where they came from?
Wondering, 'cause she wouldn't tell me
No she wouldn't tell me, no

She likes to sing a lot, she likes to play a lot
But it hurts her so she gave it up for medicinal drugs
Now she's really happy
Now she's really happy, yeah

And she is happy with a fag in her lips
And a fag as friend [poss. 'faggot friend' ?!]
And a fag in the morning with her Special K
A ray of sunshine
A ray of sunshine, yeah

Well I'm in love with a certain boy
He's a simple person
Not as young as he looks
But whoever is in this day and age
In this day and age, yeah

He gives me goosebumps, picks up malaria (?)
Funny feeling like buying whisky in a whisky bar
The things he says
Yeah the the things he says

And on his arms there's freckles and scars
Do you know what they are?
Do you know where they came from?
Wondering, 'cause he wouldn't tell me
No she wouldn't tell me, no

She likes to play a lot, she likes to sing a lot
But it hurts him so he gave it up for medicinal drugs
Now he's really happy
Now he's really happy, yeah

And he is happy with a fag in his lips (?)
And a fag as friend (?)
And a fag in the morning with his Special K
A ray of sunshine
A ray of sunshine, yeah

Yeah he fell to Earth in a rainstorm
I don't care wherever he came from
'Cause the boy's all right by me

Yeah she fell to Earth in a rainstorm
I don't care wherever she came from
'Cause the girl's all right by, yeah

Well I'm in love with a certain boy
Well I'm in love with a certain girl

The Loneliness Of A Middle-Distance Runner

I'll take a second of the day to think about the things that we have done this
year
The dog lies down, the pouring rain, I'm underneath the smokers' railway arch
again (?)
The future's looking colourful
It's the colour of blood, chaos and corruption of a happy soul
A happy soul will write in the field, write in the field, write in the field
'Til the rain dies down.

The railway ticket states the destination but it doesn't mean that we will show
There's a fork upon the line, we'll pay the guard to switch the sign and off we
go
The future's looking wonderful
It's the wonder of the businessman's conspiracy to sell you wares, but no-one
cares
Oh you care I know, you care I know, you care I know
I forgot for a while

And on a sulky afternoon spent in dispute you'll give yourself a headache yeah
So I take revenge in stories, and I'm dreaming of the time when you're on stage

Have you seen the loneliness of a middle distance runner, as he stops
the race and looks around, all at the stage I've seen it so (?)
I'll walk to the station, walk to the station, walk to the station
Won't you follow me?

The Wrong Girl

I went looking for my darling
I went looking for a sign
And I found her in the morning
Somewhere in the back of my mind

I'm not what I could be
I need a true love
I went looking and I found one
The wrong girl
The wrong kind
The wrong hand to be holding
The wrong eyes to go searching behind
The wrong dream to have in my mind

I went looking for my darling
I went looking for a sign
And I found her in the morning
Somewhere in the back of my mind

I'm not what I could be
I need a true love
I went looking and I found one
The wrong girl
The wrong kind
The wrong hand to be holding
The wrong eyes to go searching behind
The wrong dream to have in my mind

I'm not what I could be
I need some loving
I went looking and I found some
The wrong girl
The wrong kind
The wrong hand to be holding
The wrong eyes to go searching behind
The wrong dream to have in my mind

The wrong girl

Paper Boat

I think it's going to be all right,
I think it's going to be just fine,
I think it's going to get much better than before,

I think we're going to see the sun,
I think we're going to have some fun,
I think we're going to walk out through the open door

Maybe when you wake up in the morning
Maybe when the darkened skies are grey
Maybe in a paper boat we'll both just sail away

Underneath the river trees
Off towards the lazy sea
Underneath the bridge that carries people home

Past the church where Jesus saves
Off to find the path of good ways,
Sailing off towards adventures of our own

Maybe when I wake up in the morning,
Maybe when the darken skies are grey
Maybe in a paper boat we'll both just float away

Trumpety bit.

I think it's going to be good fun.

Lord Anthony

Anthony, bullied at school
Get your own back now you are cool
Or are you scared of bunking up who you'll talk (??)
It's all gone wrong again you got double maths

But the teacher's got no control
The boys all run riot
"You all stay quiet or you will die"

Tony, back of the gym
Smoke another one, your chances are slim,
'Cause here they come again
They got you on the ground
You're tasting blood again
At least it's your own

When will you realize it doesn't pay
To be smarter than teachers, smarter than most boys,
"Shut your mouth, start kicking the football"
Bang on the teeth you were out for a weekend (?)

You may as well take it in the guts, it can't get worse
Just take it in the guts, it can't get worse
Just take it in the guts, it can't get worse
Just take it in the guts, it can't get worse

Oh but hey, you'll soon be old enough to leave them all
Without a notion of a care
You'll leave two fingers in the air
To England

Tony, you're a bit of a mess
Melted Tolberone under your dress
But if the kids could see you they would pass you right by
The mascara running over your eye

Why don't you realize it doesn't pay
To be smarter than teachers, smarter than most boys,
"Shut your mouth, start kicking the football"
Bang on the teeth you were out for a weekend (?)

They call you Lord Anthony but hey, it could be worse
Lord Anthony but hey, it could be worse
Lord Anthony but hey, it could be worse
Lord Anthony but hey, it kind of suits you anyway

You'll soon be old enough to leave them all
Without a notion of a care
You'll leave two fingers in the air
To England

"Rip Van Winkle" by Washington Irving
for class, and as i was making my way through the story, i came to a
passage that sounded oddly familiar:

"Times grew worse and worse with Rip Van Winkle as years of matrimony
rolled on; a tart tempter never mellows with age, and a sharp tongue is the
only edge tool that grows keener by constant use. For a long while he used
to console himself, when driven from home, by frequenting a kind of
perpetual club of the sages, philosophers, and other idle personages of the
village, that held its sessions on a bench before a small inn, designated
by a rubicund portrait of his majesty George the Third. Here they used to
sit in the shade, of a long lazy summer's day, talk listlessly over village
gossip, or tell endless sleepy stories about nothing. But it would have
been worth any statesman's money to have heard the profound discussions
that sometimes took place, when by chance an old newspaper fell into their
hands, from some passing traveller. How solemnly they would listen to the
contents, as drawled out by Derrick Van Bummel, the schoolmaster, a dapper
learned little man, who was not to be daunted by the most gigantic word in
the dictionary..."