Sinister: Come down off the cross, we can use the wood

Newth, Tom TNewth at xxx.com
Wed Jun 2 14:36:42 BST 1999

Hi everybody.

(having just finished, I apologise in advance for this having rambled so
much. but it is my first post, so can I be forgiven?)

My excitement at finally gaining a voice was only dampened by the fact of my
conscience's dictating that I read the five million messages in my inbox
before making use of it. But fun and interesting reading as ever. Sadly
three years in the nursery or whatever it was has scrambled my mental
notebook of things to say and in any case I wimagine most of them are no
longer relevant. Not to worry - fresh irrelevancy is just around the corner.

The first time I heard B&S was when a friend played it to me and said "Guess
what this is". I couldn't, except I thought it sounded a bit like Smog.
Which it doesn't (IYFS). But I was certainly taken, particularly as my
supplier of leftfield North American rock and sixties throwbacks had given
them the highest recomendation. At which point I went out and bought 369 and
have never looked back (having everything I need). I honestly cannot
remember when the discovery of something new has brought so much immediate
joy into my life.

I would give a little introduction of myself for everyone but there's not a
huge amount to say. I don't know any of you (except JD Salinger) and as such
was sorry to miss the Greenwich picnic, but Steam on the Metropolitan line
had my favours for the day. We went on a steam train to Amersham and lunched
in a pub before visiting Milton's cottage (run by an admirably dedicated
fellow, though a complete loon) and getting on a steam train to come home.
Sounds uninspiring, yes, and  perhaps so, but a fun day was had by all.
Particularly as we got to sit in one of those old first-class carriages on
the way back, each secretly hoping that a majestic blonde/brooding Adonis
was going to burst in with passionate kisses whilst the plodding officers of
the law continued their search elsewhere. Anyway, is there another meet-up
anytime soon?

I think the point of most interest is that my job sucks. Or at least, of
most interest to me. You can probably see what it is from the address. I
would just say that if you ever entertain the thought of disposing of your
"collectables" via our good offices, don't. But I am a little bitter at the
mo.

I had a few things I wanted to comment on.....
I really like Hesse and Salinger and it's been great to hear so many other
people do to. For the record, my favorite story in the world ever is The
Laughing Man from 9 Stories (From Esme with Love and Squalor). Not too many
stories can make a fellow as teary-eyed....
Someone mentioned The Prodigy by Hesse not so long ago. I agree - super. So
good in fact that I read it all in one go. Should anyone have been spurred
to investigate further, having read a whole bunch myself, my most humble
advice would be to leave The Glass Bead Game until having checked out four
or five of the others. It is jolly good, but really a superb digest of the
rest of his work which makes the other books seem a bit flat, unless you've
got to the stage of wanting to read every word. The best two otherwise to my
mind are Steppenwolf and (especially) Narziss & Goldmund. But that said, I
recall someone on the list saying a while back that it was all twee
pseuo-mystical drivel, which is nearly a fair point...
Les Enfants Terribles - the film is by the wonderful Jean-Pierrre Melville
if that's of any help to the person who was looking for it. French. 1940's.

I know this list should not be abused for "Films/books I like..." but for
some reason B&S are linked in my mind with Walden by Thoreau. This may
perhaps be because I read it at the time when I was really heavily getting
into the band, but it may also be because of the ornery loner/different drum
similarities. I have given up expecting anyone to follow my advice and read
it. My girlfriend gave up after 30 pages, the my North American rockchick
friend was horrified when I sent to it her for Christmas ("I fucking hate
that book.." - aren't you meant to lie when you get presents you don't
want?) and no-one else seems inclined to touch it with a bargepole. But I
think it is wonderful and it is also Rock Hudson's favorite book in All That
Heaven Allows.

The other thing that reminds me of B&S all the time is one of my favourite
records, that is Heads & Tails by Derek Griffiths. I should be most
interested if anyone else out there knows it (apart from JD Salinger, who I
know appreciates the odd songs scattered through compilation tapes). He
sings about a fox, though not in the snow. And a proboscis monkey. (incase
of forgetfulness, and with apologies to non-Brit listees, he was one of the
playschool presenters circa Brian Cant era. He wrote the all the songs and
sings and plays everything on the album himself. Whilst, if the sleeve
photos are anything to go by, monged out out of his head) (oh, and this is
not a covert attempt to resurrect the kiddies' programmes thread by the
way..)

I have done moderately well at converting friends and neighbours to B&S,
although the last person I made a tape for lost it for a month, found it,
and told me the next day it made her want to slit her wrists. Oops.

I am sad to see so many people dissing Lydia (if that is her real name) and
Spain's entry to Eurovision. I was the only person at our party to give it
more than 4 points, if only because of the excitement generated at the
thought that she might pull that odd heart-shaped thing out of her
decolletage and tear it up in an emotional climax to the song. My favourite
bit was Portugal's guitar solo.

My apologies for reverting to old threads but a) where oh where can I get
the Dr Pepper gum that someone mentioned ages ago? and b) I know someone who
got a vibrating love egg stuck up their bum. Not very pleasant apparently.
(and no, that's not a roundabout way of saying it was me - the best I've
done is a sugarpuff up my nose and bacon rind wrapped round my tonsils).

Did anyone else visit Dungeness after Bowlie? If you're all going to All
Tomorrow's Parties I cannot reccomend it enough. Weird shit. I know there
was at least one other chalet there while we were (by their battered old
Super8 cameras shall ye know them) who seemed to dig it as much as we did.
It really is too extraordinary a place to pace up a visit of at such a short
distance away. JD Salinger told me they used to film Dr Who episodes there
all the time, which (from my vantage point behind the couch, and before mum
banned me from watching it) I can well believe.

Seems like time to wind this up - apologies for the length again, but the
first flush of voicedom has left me overflowing with tasty morsels that
somehow seem worth passing on (no doubt until I get this arriving in my
inbox..) You all seem like genuinely nice and interesting people, and I
cannot comment on comparisons to other lists, this being the one and only
for me, but it has been a real pleasure rading the archive/posts since I
joined up. Love to you all

Spoon