Sinister: Epping and Ongar

Adam Chapman dunca_chap at xxx.com
Wed Jun 2 18:27:07 BST 1999

Well hello my darlings...

  The following is in some sort of way in response to the thread on
Conversions to the fine cause that is B&S.

   Not to put too fine point on it i need HELP, not medicaal or indeed much
else that no doubt exercises your fevered imaginings [or an inability to
recall Pj Harvey, Some of my friends would kill if they knew], however, a
serious question presents itself, honest it does...

   hard as it may be for some of you [o.k not very many, but those much more
twee than i], to imagine, B&S are not at all easy to explain to thase
without an idea as to who Nick Drake, Donovan et al actually were and what
they sound like. this occurs to me as i mentioned them to various people and
when pressed could offer nothing better than the rather lame; "erm... a bit
like early Smiths maybe?". even this is greeted with politely blank looks [
or sometimes after some thought "The Smiths, who?"  i grin and change the
subject.

My question therefore dear friends is this:

How the hell do you explain the band you love to someone who might cite
Catatonia, or worse, Terrorvision [arrrrrrrggggghhhh!!!!!!] as the very peak
of musical sophistication ?

   To be fair, this last is something of a worst case senario, but

To all 1000+ of you XXXXXXXX

  AJc
[on behalf of the Society for the propagation of Belle and Sebastian,
membership open to all !]

"Because I know that you know, that we know they don't know whats been going
on.... "

Gruff Rhys, SFA, 'Demons'