Sinister: Ralgex

robhalcrow at lineone.net robhalcrow at lineone.net
Wed Jun 2 20:45:28 BST 1999

Dear Sinister types,
     I've made my excuses privately for not appearing at The Greenwich Picnic ( I was there, just rather late) but I hope to make the next one. I'll be studying very nearby from September so that should make things easier.
    If anyone asked me for a B&S Digital video thing and hasn't heard from me let me know. You should have done by now but I just want to be sure.
    Interesting comments about depression/drugs/psychotherapy. I agree with Stephen that anti-depressants/ therapy don't necessarily stifle creativity. Sometimes it can be that the person is so depressed that everything, creative or otherwise seems pointless.
Anthony Storr (psychological bigwig) wrote
   'Severe depression renders those who suffer from it incapable of productive work, and inaccessible to psychotherapy'.
  I believe him. ( He's written books and everything).
   I think drugs are often used  to open the way for psychotherapy and are usually seen as a temporary measure if possible.  I agree, though, that there can be a tendency to prescribe them willynilly (as with antibiotics). One last point- teachers in my experience aren't taught to, in fact are discouraged from getting involved in issues which are not necessarily within their field. More often than not it is a child's parents who doggedly request psychological reports and diagnoses. It is preferable to have a child with a medical disorder rather than one who is just an ill mannered git, or a normal teenager (not that the 2 are the same thing).  Anyway, that's enough from me about that.
    Kimberly Rehak (of The Lost Badges), I must apologise as I quoted you with the wrong name in my last post. I had the right letters/sounds but in the wrong order. I am very sorry.
     Finally,  I used to be well into the Airplane (maaan) but when I listened to them the other day I couldn't for the life of me see why. How strange.

Love
Rob

"Paul, I think I told you, I'm a lover, not a fighter'
Michael Jackson