Sinister: Transeuropean party conspiracy

Alan Singfield alan.singfield at xxx.com
Thu Jun 3 13:05:33 BST 1999

Magpie Jay wrote:

> The hosts are holding a mass 'blind date' next Saturday and they were
> inviting selected people.  I managed to score an invite. They have emailed

> 100 people a questionaire on their lives and loves, and are going to match

> everyone up with a stranger. Then we all sit down for a banquet and either

> hit on each other or hit each other. I have a reservation that the real
> conspiracy is that it is in fact a scam, as we have to pay up front, but I

> have a blind trust in the people I met. I haven't been on a blind date
> before let a lone a mass one, so am more than curious, if not
apprehensive.
> Not bad for a shybee!

Oops! This sounds remarkably familiar to the strategy of "flirty fishing"
performed by American religious cults to induce new members. They would
induce new members by flirting, meeting first in pubs and parties, then
progressively only being available through the cult. Before you know it,
you've given them all your posessions and sacrificed your mother on an altar
of burning pig carcasses!

Mind you, I thought that most listerines would sacrifice their mother on an
altar of burning pig carcasses for a signed copy of Tigermilk...

Alternatively, it might just be a fun night out; let us know how you get on.

Spanners.