Sinister: 10 Roddington Place

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Thu Jun 3 16:03:10 BST 1999

I quite like "White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane, especially that bit
in "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" where Johnny Depp wants the other
bloke to throw the tape recorder in the bath with him when it gets to
the good bit, so that he can die on an incredible high. If my memory
serves me well, there was also a Belgian New Beat song that was great
and fantastic, called "White Rabbit", by a group called White Rabbit.
How I yearn for the halcyon days of Belgian New Beat.

The other day there was a half hour radio programme of the Pet Shop
Boys playing their favourite records, fantastic early eighties dance
music, such as "A E I O U" by Freeze (or Freeez or some funny
spelling), which they introduced as "one of the first records to
contain a solo made up of samples of various letters" and it was true,
there's a great letters solo in it. Check it out. There were also
great records from Grandmaster Flash and some others who I've
forgotten. But it was good. Next week they're going to be playing
their favourite sad songs, so expect some Dusty Springfield. It's on
the BBC World Service, so even people in Thailand can listen to it.

There was some cobblers on NME.com about the Bowlie concert on the
radio, July 5th, I think. The information was credited to shadowy
"insiders", so it's probably a pack of lies. There was also a review
of a live album by Joy Division, recorded in PRESTON, which means that
for as long as there are human beings, Preston will have a secure
place in the pantheon of rock...erm...places. People from Preston will
be able to say "I'm from Preston" and their interlocutors will fall
over in wonder.

Speaking of wonder, look at this description of Jimi Hendrix's
"Midnight":

"Globs of molten steel belch heavy industrial vibrato in this original
GuiTarzan metal instrumental...at the crack of "Midnight" the past is
eclipsed. A new sun rises and casts the first ray."

Beat that, Toilet Boys!

Like most people on this list, I read books that make me look clever.
Unlike most people on this list, I only mention them when they contain
secret references to Stuart Murdoch. From "Collected Fictions" by
Jorge Luis Borges:

Instead of seven thousand thirteen (7013), he would say, for instance,
"Maximo Pérez"; instead of seven thousand fourteen (7014), "the
railroad"; other numbers were "Luis Melián Lafinur," "Olimar,"
"Sulfur," "clubs," "the whale," "gas," "a stewpot," "Napoleon,"
"Agustín de Vedia." Instead of five hundred (500), he said "nine."

There, I hope you dug that groovy extract. Be warned, that is only the
tip of a truly freaky iceberg.

I've just been listening to Chris Leonard's "The Fruits of the
Forest". I'm very impressed by Mr Chris's manly voice. I expected him
to squeal like a stuck pig. Thank you, Chris. I wish you every
success. Do I detect a slight Incredible String Band influence?

Rock on,

Sister Disco