Sinister: The Frat, Down by Law, Impatience

Brandt S. Fundak bfundak at xxx.edu
Thu Jun 3 16:44:39 BST 1999

Well here I am posting again (this has become habit forming).  I want to
talk about a few things, but I'll start with Nick's inquiries about the
frat.

>Did anyone else see that documentary about the University of Iowa's 'Greek
>system' of sonority and fraternity houses.  It was quite the weirdest thing I
>have ever seen.   Apparently a fifth of all new students arrive a week
early to
>go through a sick selection procedure ('Rush') for all these 'secret'
single-sex
>societies with names like 'Alpha Kai Kai' and 'Gamma Beta Sigma'.  If they
get
>in the girls get to be all prissy and live without alcohol and the boys
get to
>boast about collecting more sonority girls' knickers than those pussies
over at
>Beta Pi Eater.  And they have to pay up to $11000 over their time at
university
>for the privilege.
>
>I never really understood what frat-boys were before.  But yeah, if
anything the
>girls were sicker.  They all sang songs like 'We are Alpha Kai Kai and we are
>great / Always Alpha Kai Kai / I love Alpha Kai Kai'  whilst touching each
>others pointed fingers and banning fruit in drinks.  But the REALLY scary
part
>was that 80% of all major CEOs and most of the military and all but two US
>presidents have participated in this 'character-building' tomfoolery.   It's
>like SoS - but *WORSE*.  Would any US listee like to admit to being part
of it
>and explain why this is complete mispresentation?

I can't claim to have ever being part of a frat, but for someone who hates
it as much as I do, I had to live the worst of the frat world, when I was
unceremoniously placed with a frat boy as a roommate my freshman year. ( i
was supposed to live with a guy who ended up not coming to school because
he was dealing with issues of his sexuality.)  He was a horrible human
being--twisted and wrong, fat, smelly misanthrope who thought he was clever
and cool because he was in the goddamned frat. Before he met me, he offered
that i should join his frat over the phone.  then he met met me and figured
he didn't want a "faggot like me in his frat."  I was constantly berated by
his "brothers."  His homophobic tendencies caused him to question all of my
friends sexualities.  He was a filthy individual, leaving food lay around
for weeks at a time. Just thinking about it infuriates me.

But I think it is obvious that the frat feeds into capitalist views of
society.  Everybody conforms into one big unit with a certain ideological
doctrine and thus they have no use for those who go against the status quo
of the frat. Because I saw no sense in the frat I was labelled in an
attempt to discredit me.  Too bad I lived in the honors dorm, and I tended
to have more allies than enemies.

Anyway, on to happier things.

Thanks to everyone who recommended Jim Jarmusch's Down by Law.  Excellent
film.  i especially loved Tom Waits in the film.  Anyone had the pleasure
of hearing his new album yet?

And one last word, on impatience.  Does anyone have any helpful hints?  I
am by nature an impatient person and the waiting game I am going to have to
play with liz will probably make this summer difficult for me.  So far I
have been deflecting my impatience with mass quantities of beer, but I know
that this is a band-aid measure and won't stop the problem.  I have to be
patient though, because my impatience will kill my chance before I even
started.  So if anyone has a suggestion, please let me know.

Brandt

"VIRGO AND CANCER:  Virgo provides the emotional security that Cancer needs
and the little attentions that provide affection.  Cancer's dependence
finds its perfect answer in Virgo's needs to be protective.  cancer's
imagination is stimulating to Virgo, and Cancer's anxiety to please deepens
Virgo's affections.Both will come out of their shell and begin to enjoy life."

							--Sexual Astrology (1976)