Sinister: Winter Wooskie lyrics

Andy Buckley agb31 at xxx.uk
Thu Jun 3 17:22:10 BST 1999

>Did anyone else see that documentary about the University of Iowa's 'Greek
>system' of sonority and fraternity houses.  It was quite the weirdest thing I
>have ever seen.   Apparently a fifth of all new students arrive a week
early to
>go through a sick selection procedure ('Rush') for all these 'secret'
single-sex
>societies with names like 'Alpha Kai Kai' and 'Gamma Beta Sigma'.  If they
get
>in the girls get to be all prissy and live without alcohol and the boys
get to
>boast about collecting more sonority girls' knickers than those pussies
over at
>Beta Pi Eater.  And they have to pay up to $11000 over their time at
university
>for the privilege.

I didn't see the documentary due to financially imposed lack of TV but that
sounds exactly like what my friends described it as (in the bar where I was
pissing away the cash that I could buy a TV with). Our conclusion was that
frats are probably so prominent in the US political and industry system
since they involve living with and getting along with people who you can't
possibly like for years on end. I'd say there's something in that...

>From what I've seen, there's a similar system in most western countries:
principal in my mind is the public-schools-originated "old boys' network"
in Britain. I'm at uni in Cambridge and there's still societies there that
are definitely remnants of the class divide in that respect: the Union
Society and Pitt Society are the main ones. Still, I suppose that if you're
going to get that sort of thing hanging on anywhere then Oxbridge is
exactly the place it's going to happen... even if 95% of the university
think that the 'prestigious' old boys' societies are full of arrogant,
spoon-fed tossers.

Anyway, if I had an extra 10 grand to get through at university then I'd
find much better things to spend it on than living with a bunch of
lard-arsed homophobes. A copy of Tigermilk would be the first addition to
my soon-to-be-rapidly-growing record collection, for instance...

Andy

Andy

Andy Buckley
agb31 at cam.ac.uk