Sinister: Ma Ma Ma Ma Ma Ma, she's a lady

Blake E Hamilton hamibe02 at xxx.edu
Thu Jun 3 18:03:10 BST 1999

Greetings and salutations.

Well lets get right down to busy ness.

Nick wrote, rather rightly:
"Would any US listee like to admit to being part of it
and explain why this is complete mispresentation?"

"It" being the rebellious, pile of shite known as the Greek Community on
most US campuses.  My campus is indeed very much greek oriented, but I am an
Independent for many personal, sociological, and hygenic-related reasons.
We are referred to as GDIs (that'd be taking the lord's name in vain and
then inserting the term independents immediately following said scorn).  Of
course, we refer to ourselves as GDIs.  I guess it's all in fun.  I had a
good friend who rushed (yes this is a valid term) and she has never been the
same after pledging (that's when a person says 'yes, i've checked out this
great little community during rush and now i'm asking you to let me in') and
receiving a bid (when those same people say, 'yes!' we like you and wish to
make your life a bit worse than it was before).  The Greek world (excluding
the actual country over there somewhere, which I've heard, during non-war
years, is quite lovely) is big on uniformity, something I've never much
enjoyed.  For those of you who have heard the nastiest, slutty, incorrigible
stereotypes associated with fraternities and sororities, well chances are
they're all true.  Most of the disgusting and embarassing initiation stories
are probably true as well.  And everything involving domesticated farm
animals is completely true.  Though they're never really domesticated.  A
small discrepancy, I suppose.  Apologies to everyone for the rant, a drink,
a drink, a toast to all who have kept on reading.

Paula booze girl asked so sweetly:
"WHAT in the name of sweet GOD is a TOASTMASTER????"

I believe Pete gave a smartass remark, so I was beat to that specific punch.
So I'll be reasonable and tell you that the toastmasters are a group of
speakers.  It's a nationwide organization helping people to speak publicly,
that being the greatest fear among people in the world.  It sounds odd, but
a Toastmaster general (yes there is such a thing) visited our school one day
in search of people wishing to join.  I think his speech pulled me in, until
i realized what he did all the time and was probably pretty good at selling
me overaged cheese.  The fact that death as a public fear ranks *behind*
public speaking was best put into words by sir Jerry Seinfeld:  "So judging
from this survey, at a funeral, most people would rather be laying in the
casket than giving the eulogy?"  Touche.  I have no accent thingee for my
Touche.  Maybe the next time I'll just write Touchay.

LesleyJo makes me laugh, a spot once held by Gen Wesley.  Where, oh where
have you gone?  I wouldn't be surprised if my voice just echoed.

An apology--I am going to make it a point not to dump my problems on this
list anymore.  It may up the sap content on this list to the point where it
could be made into a motivational Robin Williams saint picture, whereas the
part of Honey would be played by the sentimental funnyman.  So here it
is--I'm officially starting the motions of Sinister: The Movie.  With Robert
De Niro playing the rebellious Seb.  Posh.

I just got a Manic Street Preachers album.  It's called "lots of gibberish
about truths and yours and mine".  Whatever.  I like it much, but they sound
like Journey.  I don't like Journey, but I like the Manics pretty well.  I
also got Elliott Smith's new one, and I can say that love is instantaneous.
Perhaps I'll never leave the house

tootaloom
blake
"Fuck!" - Jarvis Cocker