Sinister: the greeks are coming

Fergal Denn fdenn at xxx.com
Fri Jun 4 11:09:05 BST 1999

Nick wrote:

>Did anyone else see that documentary about the University of Iowa's 'Greek
>system' of sonority and fraternity houses.  It was quite the weirdest thing
>have ever seen.

yep I saw that documentary too, and yep it was scary. The idea that this set
of strange individuals are due to be the future ‘leaders’ of the most
powerful country in the world is a tad worrisome. Having said that,  I was
also struck by how vastly different the world of the girls in the sorority
was from the guys’ world in the frats. Yes, I realise that boys and girls
are fundamentally different but these people were like different species. Is
this the status quo of an unchecked single sex environment? Perhaps the
insular societal microcosms of the greek system represent what a single sex
world would be like? If so, in a world populated by just girls everybody
would be well dressed, conformist, prissy, teetotal, walk around with their
hands behind their back and sing pseudo religious songs. The alternative
being a boy world where guys spend their time getting boozed up, talking
like morons and  in the absence of some puss to pull I suppose they'd pull
each other.........

Both worlds have there attractions but on balance I think I’d rather hang
out with the stepford wives in girl world....any thoughts?

Fergal