Sinister: dont want acceptance, dont want tradition

Graham MacArthur macarthur at xxx.com
Fri Jun 4 11:34:42 BST 1999

dmitry told us about the american dream:

> system in teh world (UIUC), its impossible not to run into them and
their:
> khaki shorts, sweaters, Tommy and abercrombie and fitch clothes, baseball
> hats, matchbox 20/offspring tshirts, and who could forget the
> homophobic/dumb jock attitudes. all stereotypes, yes, but all true.

I have a feeling, had I had to have grown up in a "typical" american high
school, I would have surely committed suicide. Mind you, can too many
eighties teen films blur your vision? (as a brit, i mean). I've though
about this quite a bit, and I think overall, there is no geek/cool people
divide in schools. It's a myth exaggerated by films and books, and indeed
Pulp songs. It's a romantic notion which I would have taken pleasure in
indulging in given cause, but even if I never used to have any friends in
the first year, it wasn't cool people that slinked up to me and took the
piss, it was just nasty nerds, who took pleasure in making other people
feel like they had. There are just seperate little communities (the
obligitary 'in' crowd) and people who get picked on because they are
slightly different to everyone else.

But In America, there are more nightmares to go through though, like the
Prom, and sports events which are built up bigger than they would ever be
over here. And  more of a feeling of 'school spirit', which is bound to
leave people feeling alienated if they weren't a bouncy cheerleader type or
a grunting jock type. Do these people only exist in frats? You'll have to
forgive me for being blinkered, the only view I have of american school
life is Saved By the Bell. (but i do know all the words to the theme tune).

Pretty in Pink....Pretty in Pink....

Love Erica

P.s I'm trying to compile a list of songs with the word 'Pink' in the
title. So far I only have the new offering by aerosmith (haw haw) and the
psycadelic furs. so mail me privately.