Sinister: dont want acceptance, dont want tradition

Graham MacArthur macarthur at xxx.com
Fri Jun 4 14:50:11 BST 1999

Cripes!

> I don't know how many of you were ever bullied at school for being
> different, but let me tell you from someone who lives with the
> consequences every day, that being in the separate little community that
> gets picked on for being different, it certainly FEELS like there is a
> big divide.  Maybe it's not as evident in your school, or these days in
> general but ten years ago when I was in school, there was a bloody HUGE
> gap and I was way on the wrong side of it.
>
> disturbing when people say that they would love to indulge the romantic
> notion of the geek/cool divide, like being a victim of childhood
> bullying is something to aspire to.

You've got me all wrong! No, I wrote it all wrong, I don't think being a
victim of childhood bullying is something to aspire to, I was just trying
to say i would like to look back and think it was a war of the cool vs the
nerds, when it really wasn't, it was just a few people that picked on other
people because they were different. I was bullied on and off mentally for
three years until I found solace with a few other people like me and we
stuck together. Over the years people changed and now some of the people
that hurt me very badly at the start of senior school are now in my
immediate social circle.

> from what I went through, it just left me a bit of a mess and there's no
> fucking romance in that :)

It does leave you in a messyou're absolutely right, and you only realise
when something like this reminds you of it, choking up bad memories. ugh.
Mind you, as everyone says, those who peak at school spent the rest of
their life trailing downwards...

Erica