Sinister: sententiousness is the best policy while sentencing (a new causative)

Youn Jong Noh ynoh at xxx.EDU
Fri Jun 4 18:58:57 BST 1999

Mark Casarotto wrote:
> Erm, Mr Dastoor, with your posh email address - remind us what you do at The
> Guardian? :P

Ooh that's a relief to know.  It would be frightful to discover that
any of us (seriously) worked for the establishment or had real jobs.  (I
hope I've not insulted anyone here who is quite earnest about the work
that they are doing ... I think I might have seen an email address for
the Dublin Times during one of the countless hours I spend perusing every
nook and cranny of the sinister site in an effort to remember or to forget
how meaningful these past four years at university have been so that I
can conjure up the appropriate tears at graduation.)

In five or six years time when the path I am on has undoubtedly revealed
itself to be a failure, I intend to make a smooth transition to being a
valet, hopefully Stuart's.  Therefore, I must ask that all of you who
actually encounter Stuart to sharpen your reporting skills a bit.  (I
don't mean to sound imperious here as I am hopeless in this area.)  Exact
reports of articles of clothing worn with all sartorial details noted and
verbatim reports of all utterances would be nice (necessary if I am to
become a valet in the grand tradition established by Mr. Jeeves).  (His
usual drink was a nice detail - thanks.)

Can someone also please tell me why semicolons, p's, and parentheses often
appear at the end of lines that other people write?

Regarding Erica's and Alisa's emails, they both have good points, and it
is possible that they had different experiences.  There was a film
out a few years ago. and I think a short-lived TV spinoff from it. called
"Welcome to the Dollhouse" that brought it up all over again for me.
(It's actually a part of my present experience, but not in the same way,
as aging seems to have dulled my sensitivity to it.)  I guess it could be
the change in perspective really does not give you the same access, in the
same way it is difficult to imagine the fear of walking down a dark
hallway when you were four.