Sinister: we still want more (than anyone can give)

Natasha Rachel lyricjunkie at xxx.com
Sat Jun 5 20:36:53 BST 1999

On the menu today, Sinisterlanders, we have:
things that squeeze into then get dragged out of
your subconscious, Calvin and Hobbes, and some
football.

Mark Casarotto crammed a message with quotable
things, the first of which was this:

> ...when I was younger (until my early teens,
> probably) my idea of an
> idyll was to live in a leafy American suburb
> with wide roads, driveways, big
> detached houses with little verandahs at the
> front,

And the first image that came into my mind was
Tom Hanks' neighbourhood in Big, so then he
freaked me out by telling us to imagine none
other than-

> wee Tom Hanks' neighbourhood
> in Big.

I think the little green pixies that run the show
in everyone's brains (and I mean *everyone's* -
there has not yet been a credible report of
anyone having escaped them), are cutting corners.
 It's like the stock exchange in there you know -
they're all screaming things like "Buy the
Marshmallow Man from Ghostbusters!  He has to be
dragged out every time someone mentions
marshmallows."  Evidently they got Tom Hanks' Big
neighbourhood at a knockdown price and then
unloaded it into lots of our unsuspecting
subconciouses.

Mark then protested that:

> (there is nowhere near enough Calvin &
> Hobbes discussion on this
> list

Which I'm going to second.  (Actually I think
someone else may have picked that up before me,
so I'm going to third it...)  The Calvin and
Hobbes subject fits in in with something Youn
Jong Noh said about ageing dulling your
sensitivity, because Calvin and Hobbes always
manage to bring back my own Calvin Age years that
get tucked away under duller things like - to be
topical - exam thoughts, as time passes.  Reading
Calvin's winter exploits makes me want *my*
garden to be covered in snow so I can build
snowmen that promt the neighbours to think I
should be institutionalised.

(Hobbes:  Why does he [the snowman] have a hot
water bottle on his head?
Calvin:  He's committing suicide.)

Calvin also does a lot to solve the world's
overpopulation problem.  I wonder what the exact
number is of people who have vowed never to have
kids because of the risk of them turning out like
Calvin.

Oh look.  Here's a poem about England's
performance at Wembley earlier today --

Can We Have Our Ball Back, Please?
England gave football to the world
Who, now they've got the knack,
Play it better than we do
And won't let us have it back.

That was by Gareth Owen, and this email was from

Natasha xx