Sinister: sarah cracknell's big crossed eyes

Taranicole at xxx.com Taranicole at xxx.com
Sun Jun 6 07:57:22 BST 1999

Since no one else has beaten me to it, allow me to try and describe the scene
at last night's 3rd bi-annual Sin-filled Sinister List San Francisco Roundup~

To be honest, it's all a bit hazy after my third hit off the crack pipe (who
says fans are twee, etc etc), but I do recall everyone being very pleasant,
interesting and having immensely better taste in music than I.  (I STILL
cannot understand why one attendee seemed embarrassed to admit to Duran Duran
as her first concert??  Go back and listen to "7 and the Ragged Tiger" and
you'll find a modern day classic, I guarantee you.)

What I *do* clearly remember is this weisenheimer who was sort of lingering
near our group and watching, and me innocently chirping, "Are you Sinister?"
It didn't take long for this Sherlock to suss us out, and he was all,
"pppssshh, wait, lemme guess, are you guys one of them internet groups or
somethin? you don't know each other and you're all meeting for the first time
right??"  and then when asssured he HAD in fact guessed correctly he smugly
wandered off... or perhaps I'm just being a bit sensitive here (the crack,
remember), but at least that's how it SEEMED to me.
Tell me now, is there really this stigma attached to the whole
Internet-meeting thing?  Cos I kind of thought we as a human species or
whatever had gotten past that.  I know some people who have even met their
fiances over the internet... well i don't actually  "know" them, but they're
people I've talked to online. (heh, geddit?)  Anyway, it sort of rubbed me
the wrong way, this fella's attitude...  It's not as if you're gonna meet a
B&S fan just walking down the street.  And you can't just tell just by
looking who is a fan and on this here list. Unless of course they have on a
t-shirt saying "I'm a fan of belle and sebastian, and I'm on the sinister
list too".  (Which Jeepster is working on, i hear.) I feel like I'm preaching
to the converted here, though...
Anyway there was some discussion of a pre-Looper show meet next month, and
I'm sure more details will be provided as soon as it's arranged.

Ian, darling, tell me how is dear Sarah Crackers holding up in the basement?
I have to apologize, because I thought you were making up the whole story.
But having just seen Saint Etienne 3 times in the past week, and the show
being EXACTLY the f***ing same each time - down to the between song banter -
it's clear they've got a robot up there doing all the work.  Maybe you should
deprive her of food until she writes a new song (or ten) to sing on the next
tour, ok?

Sassy Genevieve wrote some lovely things... if only I'd known someone with
such a good attitude when i was 16, perhaps less time in high school would've
been spent sitting and complaining with similarly bitter malcontents, letting
Morrissey making it seem ok to feel victimized.   Gen, you're brilliant.

And one final meaningless comment:  This Roolz band you're all so fond of...
whenever the name is mentioned one thing comes to my mind, and that one thing
is Jesse Camp and the 8th Street Kidz.  hmmm....

There's a Real World Marathon to be watched, so i'm off now.

livin livin livin la vida loca...
tara