Sinister: Mrs Roger Hargreaves indeed

Mark Ollerenshaw mollerenshaw at xxx.com
Sun Jun 6 13:23:11 BST 1999

Hi,

Having just graduated from the Sinister Nursery, I thought I'd better post
if only to be able to say I've written words read by over 1000 people.
A scary thought, indeed.

On the subject of books, I'd recommend The Count of Monte Cristo by
Alexandre Dumas, in which a guy is wrongfully imprisoned for years and then
escapes and wreaks revenge over about eleven hundred pages. It's very good,
though, take my word for it (if a bit of a commitment...). Also, Mr Strong
by Roger Hargreaves - in my opinion the best of the Mr Men books. Watch out
for the twist at the end, though - it took me by suprise. Someone asked a
while back whether Roger Hargreaves was a woman, but being in
nursery limbo, I was unable to reply - I can confirm, however, that Roger
Hargreaves was a woman, or at least a bit confused. (S)he's listed on the
publishing history page as Mrs Roger Hargreaves. So there you go.

I don't think I've ever inserted anything of interest up my nose, although
when I was a child I almost choked on an Aniseed ball, to which I now
have a terrible aversion - who can blame me, though - the little
bastard almost killed me...

My sister has a hamster called Colin, for what that's worth - not a very
fishy name, though, I have to admit. Mind you, at primary school the
class goldfish were called Zippy and Zappy - the results of a "First
out of the Hat" style draw. They only lasted a term or two, though -
my friend took them home for the Easter holiday and managed to
kill them - by neglect or abuse we never found out.

The line in Seymour Stein definitely goes "Has he ever seen Dundee?", not
"North of Scotland has he seen?" as written in the lyric sheet. Also, the
line in the lyric sheet at the end of that verse goes "Seymour bring her
back to me" but is sung "Seymour send her back to me" which
conveys a completely different meaning, if you can be bothered to
work it out - I can't, though, due to the amount of revision I ought
to be doing for my A levels this summer. Do bands/record labels
deliberately change the lyrics in the CD book bit to keep fans on
their toes? I think we should be told.

Anyway, that's enough of that. Maybe I ought to go and do something
constructive...

Apologies for anything I've discussed which was cleared up ages ago -
I have a backlog of 210 Sinister messages taking up space in my Inbox
which I just don't have time to read - it's not that I'm lazy in particular,
just overworked, that's all.

Mark Ollerenshaw

PS: I'm curious - am I the only person who rates Subcircus? They released an
album a few years back, did a session or two for Mark & Lard on their
(much missed) Graveyard slot and then vanished into thin air, so to
speak. I now get the feeling that I'm the only person
that bought their album (Carousel, which is actually very good) and they
gave the whole music lark up, bitter and cynical indviduals.

"Keeping an open mind is a virtue -
but not so open that your brains fall out."
- Carl Sagan