Sinister: Is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?

Newth, Tom TNewth at xxx.com
Tue Jun 8 12:05:26 BST 1999

Hi everybody!

I couldn't keep my mouth shut or my fingers still any longer (a perennial
problem). Bob Dylan plays Alias in Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, which most
definitely does not star Clint Eastwood, but which is the movie with
Knocking on Heaven's Door. And it is just a heartbreaking. The best film by
the brilliant (tho sometimes patchy and undeniably nuts) Sam Peckinpah. Read
If They Move Kill 'em. Watch all his films. He's top notch. And James Caan
in The Killer Elite looks like my dad. Most disconcerting. Anyhoo, Bobby D
has a super scene where he reads aloud all the labels on the food in a food
store. And Kris Kristofferson is in it, which bizarrely is always a good
recomendation for a film (don't ask why - all the laws of nature should be
against it). At any rate, he's in Cisco Pike which is tops (shifting 100-odd
blocks of Mexican weed over a weekend!) and The Last Movie, which is less
than tops, but a whole lot of fun (and does star Sam Fuller, which is also
always a good recomendation for a movie). JD Salinger enjoyed it too.

Bob's also in a whole load of other things (including the legendary Hearts
of Fire with Rupert Everett - don't even feel tempted..) but never so good.
Shame - he makes a really good western extra.

Incidently, nuff respect to Chris McQ - [SAFE] is quite quite excellent, and
not "the most boring film ever made" as some would have it...

Since everyone is getting all excited about AMerican suburbia, I'd like to
throw in my six eggs. Which are ALL the films of Douglas Sirk (but
especially All That Heaven Allows - which is one of my favourite films ever
- Imitation of Life, and to a lesser extent, Magnificent Obsession and
Written on the Wind). Sirk was a studio genius who made ostensibly straight
pictures but which have a really cynical bite to them. For example, the
studio thought that All That Heaven Allows referred to the bounty of
goodness and love and bunny rabbits, and all things twee (see - B&S content
at last!) which are the human lot. Whereas Sirk saw it as referring to the
miserable sliver of contentment that passes for happiness in most people's
lives. Also someone mentioned to me the other day that he thought Sirk was
the precursor of all soap operas and melodramatic smalltown/smallmind
dramas. Which is (more or less) true.
The ur-50's suburban movie tho has to Peyton Place, tho it's kind of long
(and not as good as if Sirk had done it). Also Bigger than Life. Class film
(Sample dialogue "God was wrong")

OK - I didn't intend this to become a "films I like" message so apologies to
all (if it's any consolation, I've only just started....) What I did want to
say was that: has anyone else found that the Grand Wazoo site is not working
right? I visited ages ago was interested in Isobel's "things I like" list,
particularly The Hand of Ethelberta by Thos Hardy, which struck me as pretty
obscure. And, as luck would have it, a few days later, perusing the shelfs
of my local book-selling emporium (actually, not local, cos there's no
sodding bookshops in Golders Green) there it was. It was bought and read and
thoroughly enjoyed, so I'd like to second Isobel's tacit reccomendation.

Maybe I'll meet some of you on friday at the garage....

spoon