Sinister: Rock you like a hurricane

wilska at xxx.net wilska at xxx.net
Tue Jun 8 16:48:59 BST 1999

Yesterday afternoon, M2 (the MTV channel that actually plays *videos*--novel
concept) had a little 80s metal interlude--classics such as Ratt's "Round
and Round" and Def Leppard's "Rock of Ages".  I was riveted.

And then came the Scorpions--"No One Like You," which is, bizarrely, a
montage of their shows and wacky exploits during a tour of Japan.  Japan???
The Scorpions???  How does that work?  Is that like the David
Hasselhof/Germany connection--odd, strong, and perhaps never meant to be
understood?  All very fascinating, I find.

Anyhoo, I'm one of those fresh-from-the-nursery kids, difference between me
and others being that I never knew I was actually in said nursery since I
came to Sinister from another list.  It's that ignorance/bliss thing.

I now have Peet's (possibly the world's most caffeine-filled coffee) running
through my veins and a slightly disturbing medley of "Dylan in the Movies"
and "No One Like You" running through my head.  Neither is conducive to me
getting a good deal of work done anytime in the near future.  Perhaps it's
time for more M2 (yes, I have a TV on my desk at work--comes with the
territory).

Bummed that I missed the San Francisco meet-up.  Next time around...

Enough chatter from me.  Oh, except to say that as far as books go, I must
give a shout out to Ruth Ozeki's *My Year of Meats*--a funny, sad,
brilliantly-written tale of a documentarian's adventures making a meat-based
TV show for Japan.  Makes me glad I'm a vegetarian.  Also, in the film
realm, check out *The Dreamlife of Angels*, a beautiful and painful punch in
the gut with an amazing song over the closing credits (anyone know what it
is?).

Really, that's all.

Be well, be well.

--emily