Sinister: Why does noone talk about the Lilac Time on this list anymore?

Stuart Gardiner skg21 at xxx.uk
Tue Jun 8 23:24:46 BST 1999

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Ailsa Ross wrote:

> Book recommendations (I've never done this before, but hell, I've got
> lots of B&S content, so I can do this too, yes?).  "Making History" by
> Stephen Fry.  It's funny, it's educational, it's far too bloody clever
> for it's own good, and it confirms my belief that Stephen Fry is one of
> the greatest human beings in the world today.

Would now be a good time to name-drop and say that Stephen Fry went to my
college? No, didn't think so. It has to be said, it is a pretty poor claim
to fame for me, along with the fact that ex-England rugby captain Will
Carling went to my school. I must be able to do better than that.

On second thoughts, sod it, I think it's much more interesting to have a
completely obscure and tenuous claim to fame - like the fact that Rory
McGrath (off 'The Think It's All Over', a TV show which will mean
absolutely nothing to non-Brits) lives 2 minutes walk away from here, and
I see him out jogging in the mornings. Although still not as good as a
friend of mine from the other side of Cambridge who has just discovered
that he lives over the road from the drummer from Katrina And The Waves
(Walking On Sunshine, Eurovision winners 1997). You can keep your poxy
nights down the pub with Stevie Jackson, this is true celebrity...

> I've even set aside my money for the kissing booth too...

There's a kissing booth at Bowlie 2? Right, in that case, I'm going...
I'll have to go in disguise though, so people don't run away. Maybe I'll
resurrect my Tim Hopkins outfit that I wore last time (damn, that's let
the cat out of the bag).

> Struan and Stevie are expected to be busking to entertain the queue
> forming for the charms of that nice Mr Trousers and his horde of
> admirers.  Oh no all his votes are from the same person aren't they?
> Why did Warrender John get all his votes taken off him when it was
> found out that he had been voted for ten times for the same person but
> Trousers' 25 votes remain intact?  Hmmmm.

Because Trousers is bigger than me and I'm scared of him. (Actually, that
first bit's a lie. Although I'm told he is bigger than me where it
counts.)

Incidentally, since a few people have asked, no I don't know who's voted
for who; but I can check the IP addresses the votes came from and see when
they're all the same. So unless you are voting from somewhere like, say,
firewall at hitentertainment.co.uk, you're perfectly anonymous... (I still
don't know who's been voting for me, so if anyone fancies owning up I'll
promise undying love. Or failing that, a quick snog behind the bikesheds.)

Oh, and every now and then on the list someone complains that people keep
writing about meetups with other sinisterines, and that they don't care,
and that it's very cliquey or whatever. Well I'd just like to balance that
by saying that I enjoy reading about the various picnics round the world.
So there.

Right, confession time. When I was at a party on Saturday night, very
drunk off scrumpy and absinthe (which don't mix as well as might be
hoped), I was caught kissing a good friend's girlfriend, while he was in
the room next door. So what the hell should I say to them next time I see
either of them?

Big Stu

(Who would recount tales of bullying during his schooldays, but you'd be
either too bored to read them or too depressed by them to get to the end)