Sinister: You work in the movie shop, putting the poster up, dreamin' of , Anakin...

allen ussher at xxx.ca
Wed Jun 9 20:38:03 BST 1999

There's indirect B&S content towards the end, so hang in there!

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Simon Warner wrote:

> Hello there! I'm one of those newbie nursery people who've broken loose...
> I'm nursing a Paula Cullen Booze Explosion "amps-turned-up-to-11" hangover
> today, so it'll be (relatively) painless...
>
> Imagine a job where you have nothing to do all day except for listen to CDs
> and muck around with E-mails and the 'net, as I believe the kids are calling
> it these days... Imagined? Good - that's what I do. 9-5. 'Tsa tough life.
> What I'm actually supposed to being at work is far too boring to talk about
> on this big chatty-room thing, though. Just trying to let you know that if
> you write an E-mail and you think "God that's crap, everyone'll be so bored
> they won't read anything I'll do ever again", fret not, 'cos, hey, I care :)

Hey, that sounds like every day for me! :)  I'm here at work 9-5 daily,
reading and writing emails, and once in a while getting some work done.  It
was a LOT worse last year though when I worked at a different company.  My
supervisor gave me barely ANYTHING to do and I just sat around surfing the
'net and whatnot.  I'd tell my friends this and they'd think I was the
luckiest guy in the world, but NO it is utterly boring.  It's a lot more fun
if they give you interesting work.  And you get guiltly once in a while for
doing absolutely nothing all day and getting paid...

> The last two weeks of silence have been great not only 'cos you didn't have
> to put up with me, but because just sitting here reading all the E-mails has
> led me to the Buena Vista Social Club - good recommendation, whoever that
> was. So, here's a book mention... Try "The Diving Bell & Butterfly" - if you
> don't have great patience for reading, it's not very long, due to the fact
> it was dictated using only the blinking of one eye. Which is pretty
> fantastic in itself, but the book's even better. It's not small enough for
> the tube, alas...

I haven't read that, but this gives me a chance to plug one of my faves...
Has anyone read "The Happy Mutant Handbook"?  It's a must for those
culture-jamming/subvert-the-dominant-paradigm/do-it-yourself/fuck-the-system
types. :)  It's a great collection of mind-blowing articles from the zine
bOING bOING (which I have never read, but will name-drop nonetheless).

If anybody is bored at work, you are welcome to check out a comic strip I do
for my uni.  It's at the following address:

http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Chateau/9889/

And there is B&S content.  If you click on the sketch of Judy (of the Dream
of Horses variety) you will be sent to the B&S website.  So you don't even
NEED a bookmark for the B&S site, just bookmark mine! :)  And look for the
cleverly hidden B&S references in the strip.  (No one has yet mentioned them
to me at my uni.)

And one final thing.  Does anyone here listen to April March?  I picked up
her new CD last week and think it's great!  It was a tad too tw** at first,
but soon started to grow on me.

ciao!
Allen (ICQ: #35152981)
--