Sinister: the loneliness of a middle-aged spinster (i.e. DELETE)

Youn Jong Noh ynoh at xxx.EDU
Wed Jun 9 22:14:34 BST 1999

The choir:  Could someone please give me their opinion on some lines from
"Slow Graffiti"?

Now the kid has gone to bed
A feeling of dread
At least when she's around the trouble's there
It's worse to wake up with her falling round the room

I first thought these lines were about a mother caring for a child (at the
learning to walk stage), but are they actually about Johnny and a girl
who's falling for other reasons?

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Ailsa Ross wrote:
> Oh, and I would talk loads about the Lilac Time if I thought anyone was
> in the slightest bit interested.  Thread content:  Stephen Duffy was
> once in Duran Duran.  What goes around, comes around, as wise old people
> sometimes say.  Not me, I'm not wise though.  Or really that old.
> Honest.

The confessional:  I am 27 years old.  I liked Duran Duran in 5th & 6th
grade. (That was my first concert that Tara was referring to, but I was
embarrassed mostly on account of my age, not the band.)  I used to save my
lunch money (quarters) and buy Japanese import Duran Duran books with my
sister, but it was like that Simpsons rerun where they buy a comic book
together.  There was a record store behind Toys R Us in my neighborhood
called Best Records that later became Tempo Records (a chain that may no
longer exist) and the sales people were very intimidating.  (This is a
complement: they were actually as I picture you, Genevieve.)  My sister
was madly in love with John Taylor, but I much preferred Nick Heyward of
Haircut 100. (I still remember from a Smash Hits interview that his
favorite foods were oranges and oatmeal and his favorite film "To Kill a
Mockingbird".  Where have all the magazines like Smash Hits gone?  Could
anyone good at deciphering lyrics make out the words to "Milkfarm" on
their first album?  Dear Lesley Jo, Have you heard a Go-Betweens song
called "The Clarke Sisters"?  It's magnificent.  The line that ends "...
and the softball groans" - stillness and motion together. And there's a
line "the middle sister gets her period blood/ the flood of love, the
flood of love", but I always thought it was "the slut of love, the slut of
love", which makes sense if you consider that these girls (women?) are
living  with their father in the back of a bookstore, so what do they
know?) The puzzling thing is that Simon Le Bon is supposed to have been
associated with this label called Teen Beat which put out stuff by Unrest.
I find this hard to believe.  I guess taste and talent have nothing to do
with each other.

The altar:  Yesterday I watched "Two English Girls" at the library.  It
was beautiful - the English countryside and Paris interiors (to live in a
room with walls painted red or blue and paintings and heavy furniture!) -
and full of quotable lines like "Happiness is known only afterwards" (but
I always get words wrong).  Holding hands while riding bicycles looks like
quite a challenge, as anyone who saw "Les Mistons" should remember, but I
guess it relieves the monotony, not to mention clammy palms.

Sincerely yours,
Maggie Smith's character in "A Room with a View"
  aka Young John, the squire of the Hon. S. Murdoch