Sinister: slow graffitti

Elish Hope ehope at xxx.com
Wed Jun 9 22:42:05 BST 1999

Youn Jong Noh asked:

The choir:  Could someone please give me their opinion on some lines from
"Slow Graffiti"?

Now the kid has gone to bed
A feeling of dread
At least when she's around the trouble's there
It's worse to wake up with her falling round the room

The song was written for a particular part of the Acid House - a book by
Irvin Welsh that was made into a movie.  The book is several short stories,
the one Slow Graffiti relates to is called 'Soft Touch'.

Without going into too much detail about it the story is about a couple -
the guy is named Johny.  His 'wife' is sleeping with the bloke upstairs.
She is always coming in late - in the movie she has been prostituting
herself for cash - falling all over the place and waking him up.  Then she
ends up having a NASTY affair with the bloke upstairs - none of these people
have a great amount of money or morals, if you know what I mean.

The part of the movie that actually uses 'Slow Graffiti' is where Johny is
downstairs listening to his 'wife' take it violently up the backside by the
bloke upstairs.  The baby they have is awake and crying.  And he is trying
to console both the child and himself.  Later, for his troubles, the bloke
upstairs and the 'wife' kick his head in and rob him.

It's very grafic, but also a great movie/book.

Irvin used music by Arab Strap and the Delgadoes - both bands wrote music
specifically for portions of the movie where it would be used.

So, there you go.  Slow Graffiti is, in my humble opinion, one of the best
songs B&S ever wrote.

Anyway, hope that answers your question....

Snoggs,

elle