Sinister: String Bean Mean

Etheriel99 at xxx.com Etheriel99 at xxx.com
Thu Jun 10 05:56:21 BST 1999

Hullos...
Well, before I begin, I suppose I should mention that I don't have a working
tape player in my car.  I HAVE to listen to the radio.  It's that or nothing.
 And I suppose it's safe to say that radio is not that good.  So as a result
I'm quite familiar with top 40 and new alternative music ( a la canadienne).
Well, anyhow, as I was driving to school this morning, I was listening to the
local "alternative" station, though I use that term very loosely, and then
this familiar guitar riff comes on.  String Bean Jean? It was almost exact.
Except this mess of music was a product of the less than interesting The
Offspring.  The title of the song: the Kids Aren't Alright.  I was confused,
sad, shocked, saddened etc.  How could they bastardize such a lovely song?
Why can't I hear the real thing?
I don't think that the Offspring ripped it off B&S. Or could they? After all
the Offspring do have the habit of stealing melodies and riffs.  They
blatantly copied the Beatles "Life Goes On".  Who knows?  Still I can't  help
but think that the Offspring know nothing of the lovely Belle and Sebastian.
But the riff is exactly the same!  It's a horrible song though.
Turrah!
Cindy